Footprint for a vacuum tube

Hi BlackCoffee,
The transparency is now really good, the digit and the electrodes are visible very well. The improved glass look makes it now more like a Nixie tube. You have done a great job. Thanks.

If I may make one comment though, The way, the tube sits on the socket (used in this model) now, the socket will have to be mounted horizontally on the PCB in order to be able to read the digits properly This would mean that the tubes cannot be placed close enough to each other. They will always be separated at least by the distance taken by two mounting holes between them on the PCB.

I think this is because relative to the tube pin (numbering) and its mounting, the digit orientation is off by 90 degrees. So, if you have time and if you feel like doing it, please rotate the digit by 90 degrees anti-clockwise from what it is now. This way, the digit and the socket mounting holes would be in line (for vertically oriented socket mounting holes).

Further, as you know there may be many socket options (i.e. with and without mounting holes or even simply single-socket pins) to mount this tube and you cannot possibly make a model for each socket + tube combination. Thus it might be best just to orientate the digit correctly w.r.t. tube pin (ref. ZM1022 tube drawing) and simply drop the socket off from your current model. This way your tube model can be used universally and if needed, the user will create its own socket model as per their choice.

This is just a friendly suggestion you might want to consider.
Thanks again and best regards

• Removed the socket base
• Rotated tube/number to reflect orientation for Pin pattern that will mate to the majority of sockets I looked at. Example below.

Note: There is a baseplate with pins attached - otherwise individual pins are required in model - I didn’t want to spend the time… This may/will cause DRC errors as they are connected in the model. Ignore those Errors…

TubeZM1020.wrl (1.1 MB)

2 Likes

Hi BlackCoffee,
Thanks a lot. Your 3-D model is very well done. It gives a good impression of how the final PCB would like. As you said, the orientation of the pin pattern would fit most sockets.
I have tried P& R with the pin orientation as per your model, it didn’t result in any DRC error in my case at least.

And, your tube drawing with dimensions is much more legible than the original drawing I had on the so-called datasheet. Thanks for taking the trouble of redrawing it. This would be useful for other KiCad community members as well.

Many thanks again and best regards

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.