Footprint error in different gerber viewers

Hello, I’m trying to get a PCB manufactured by JLC - I’ve used them plenty of times. They are rejecting my gerbers because the front copper layer is misaligned on the gerber viewer the engineer is using, despite KiCad and their own website gerber viewer showing all as fine. I’ve noticed that two different online gerber viewers, show different results too. The problem is with two custom footprints - the silkscreen position is fine but not the copper pads.

Fine on one viewer (PCBWay):

Not fine on another (Gerblook):

Any suggestions as to where the fault is would be appreciated.

If it looks good in both KiCad and in some other (PCBway) viewer, then it is very unlikely the gerber files themselves are wrong.

You can also try some other gerber viewers. Ucamco is the maintainer of the gerber format and they have:

https://gerber-viewer.ucamco.com/

And various gerber viewers (Including JLC’s) are known to have bugs, and that is beyond the KiCad project to fix. I see (at least) two options.

1. Send JLC a screenshot to show them your gerbers are correct.
  2. Go to some other PCB manufacturer.

The engineer will probably be using some panelizing software. Did they provide any screen shows to show the problem?

Find out why gerblook doesn’t show the footprints correctly, it may be the same issue. How did you create the footprints?

The engineer sent this, which appears different from the other two images above:

The PCB files are KICad 7 files that I took from another project https://github.com/plinkysynth/plinky_public/tree/main/hw/plinkyblackfront.
The footprints that are causing the problem are custom ones that are used as capacitive touch regions with silkscreen buttons on top. I think the designer used PCBWay to get them manufactured. I’ve spent all day looking for a workaround.

I think I may have found a clue. The shapes each have a small pad defined, which is where the wire routing will guide you to, when you are connecting them to the nets. The shapes have their respective pads in the correct place in the images, but the rest of the shape is translated or rotated in the Gerblook image. I don’t know what’s happened in the engineer’s image.

The shapes have rotation and position set for them in the properties from an original position. I think Gerblook is ignoring this and using the original position.

Yes, I’m right. Gerblook is ignoring the rotation of footprint pads. If I set the pads to 0 degrees and duplicate them with a rotation and delete the original, Gerblook is fine with this.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.