Footprint editor frustration- 15 resistor DIP array

Hey all: I’ve used KiCad for a while now and I’ve already had 3 PCBs manufactured using the program. But now I’m stuck on something that seems so simple: I want to create a symbol in Eschema for a 15 resistor bussed array (16 pin DIP package). The symbol doesn’t exist in the basic libraries so I thought I’d just load the 13 resistor version and modify it. What I’m not understanding is how you connect components within the symbol editor, if that makes sense. I can duplicate two resistors out of the existing symbol, but then there’s no net drawing/wire drawing tool within the editor. So how do I connect them? I think I’m misunderstanding the concept of the symbol editor, but maybe not, I don’t know. Any help is appreciated.

The pin elements and their numbers (or ID if you want to go more complex) decide what connects where. The internal structure of a device is not EEschemas concern.
Even their order in the symbol drawing are irrelevant.

PCBnew then takes the pins and their numbers and knows about the physical package and makes sure you are able to connect the correct pins for the correct function - according to the netlist you created with EEschema.

2 Likes

I guess that’s the concept that I’m not understanding and I just need to experiment more. It would be quite easy to simply place 15 resistors in a schematic with one buss, but then how do you group all of those together to a 16 pin DIP socket footprint, or is that even possible?

Look into multiparts (schematic symbols). Don’t think you will like the approach for a resistor array though, except for the simple ones.
The other way is to create a single symbol for your array and use labels to connect the correct pins to the respective nets in EEschema.

In either way - the pin numbers (or IDs) of the symbol pins will translate to the linked footprint pad numbers (or IDs).

What kind of array are we talking about?
Got a link or a type?
I’m too lazy to load the KiCAD libs and search for the symbol you are modifying. :slight_smile:

There are tools on the right for drawing lines and drawing circles. The “wires” are just lines and the “junctions” are just filled circles.

1 Like

I guess you are talking about

By definition, all the pins in a symbol are grouped to a component. All you need to do is assign the pin numbers.

What might be confusing about that symbol is that pin numbers are not shown by default. If you enable their display it might be clearer :slight_smile:

So all you need to do is add new pins numbered 15 and 16. It is common to add a “schematic representation” to a symbol to help a user understand the symbol, but it is just graphics and it is meaningless to KiCad.

Add graphic lines, circles to create dots, and extend the rectangle etc. for the new pins.

5 Likes

Yes that’s the part I was talking about (though I used the US version, but that’s just a cosmetic difference). So, If I extend the rectangle and add two “passive” pins, that’s it? I did that, that’s easy, I just didn’t understand how that would work in the schematic (and the process as a whole). I thought I had to make more resistors and connect them internally etc etc etc. I’ll admit that sometimes I’m puzzled by the workflow in this program but overall it’s awesome. And of course it’s great having a forum where people are willing to help the noob :sweat_smile:
Thanks all, now back to getting this synthesizer project finished.

One other thing, how do you get an emoji not to display as text when you reply in the forum ha ha:grin:

These two FAQ articles might help you out a bit:

It looks like you need to have a space on either side of the emoji. If there is no space, it is displayed as text.

with space :butterfly:

without space:butterfly:

Wow… I was kidding on that emoji thing but you’re right :rofl:

Those are helpful, thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.