Footprint Editor Freezes KiCad 7.0.2

I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.

KiCad 7.0.2 regularly freezes up when I open the Footprint Editor. Then it works again. It seems to have to do with certain footprints. Once they are loaded via the Library Manager, you are hosed.

I have attached a dump file.== Well, I have a dump file. I would attach it if I could figure out how to. Where is the “attach file” button?

Where is the “attach file” button?

You are new on this forum - there are some restrictions as anti-spam measures. See New Member Information how to promote your user level. As a “basic user” you get the right to attach and post more files.

On the other hand the correct place for real bugreports is gitlab - use the “Help–>Report bug” command inside kicad. And provide as much information as possible - every issue must be reproducible, otherwise a bugfix is not possible.

I have promoted you to Basic User.
You should be able to attach your file now.

Dump is too big to attach - max is 4 MB. I am uploading to Google drive and I will post a link.

Unfrotunately, I have not been able to fix the problem. Used the “Manage Symbol Libraries” and “Manage Footprint Libraries” to remove items I have added - that fixed similar problems in the past. No effect this time. Every time I try to start the Footprint Editor the whole KiCad system freezes up. Left it goiing for several hours but still not unfrozen. Appears to saturate one CPU 100%.

Tried deleting c:\users<me>\AppData\Local\kicad\7.0 . No change.

Tried deleting c:\users<me>\AppData\Roaming\kicad\7.0\fp-lib-table. When restarted Kicad asked to install a new footprint table. I selected default. No change in behavior. Footprint Editor still goies into a hard loop and freezes the whole KiCad system.

More experiments: renamed the c:\users<me>\AppData\Roaming\kicad\7.0 directory. Retstarted KiCad.

a) If I tell it to load the old profile, then the behavior is the same as before. As soon as I try to start Foot Print Editor, everything freezes up.

b) If after deleting the directory and I restart KiCad, I tell it not to load the old profile, then KiCad is working again.

Here is the link for the KiCad dump.

Can you tell us what are the “Certain footprints”?

Zillions of different footprints, from SNAPEDA and from Mouser. The behavior is very erratic.

I vaguely recall that when I reported this problem with versions 4 and/or 5, the conclusion had something to do with not installing KiCad in the default location. But that may be my bad memory.

In the past 24 hours I have had to delete the config directory 8 times because of KiCad freezing up. It does it when I am using the PCB Editor and Schematic Editor. Always has something to do with getting a new part model. Sometimes just opening “Choose Footprint” and starting to type 1 or 2 characters in the search box will do it. Like just now. I typed “TO2” and that was enough to hang KiCad.

That Library Manager may be the reason. If it’s the same I know it keeps running and keeps files open, IIRC. Stop that process and see if it helps.

EDIT: or are you talking about KiCad’s Library Manager? I actually had SamacSys Library Loader in mind.

I uninstalled the SamacSys Library Loader. That seems to have mostly fixed the problem! Hurray!

KiCad was nearly impossible to use with it installed. Now KiCad freezes up much less often and I was able to finish my PCB. It still freezes up completely if I try to use the 3 D Viewer and some windows are super slow to pop up, but they do eventually. Windows reports that KiCad is unresponsive while it is working on bringing up a new window. I assumed this has to do with threading.

1 Like

The 3D viewer problem may of course have something to with graphics hardware/drivers. Make sure you have the latest drivers. KiCad v7.0.5 was just released, it’s better to update to that, there are quite many bugfixes compared to 7.0.2 (even though it’s only the next officially released version after 7.0.2).

Please try 7.0.5 which was released today

O.k. I upgraded to 7.0.5. I made certain that I no longer have Library Loader installed. However, a few minutes after starting Schematic Editor, I tried to place a new part. Popped up the Choose Symbol dialog. I just typed “CON” and then KiCad was frozen. I waited a long time to see if it would unfreeze. It did not.

I restarted KiCad, got to the same point, Choose Symbol, “CON”, and there was no problem. Sadly, I lost some of my work, but I am trying to train myself to save often.

Two more freezes in the past 20 minutes. Same spot - Choose Symbol. I typed “JST” and everything froze. More lost work.

Hmm based on the dmp you may be locking up due to some odd GPU behavior.

What is your GPU? Are your drivers up to date?

It is odd. I have used this footprint before (just yesterday) with version 7.0.2. However, I am unable to use it today with version 7.0.5. I have tried deleting the symbol from KiCad. Reloading it into KiCad. As soon as I try to bring it up in the Choose Symbol tool, KiCad freezes. I have attached the file.
JST_XH_B02B-XH-A_02x2.50mm_Straight.kicad_mod (3.4 KB)

Re. the questions.
Graphics: Radeon RX 560
Drivers: Several months old, but Windows says the drivers are up-to-date.

Hi @jschatzman

You mention removal and replacement of symbols and footprints in libraries.

What libraries and where are they located?

Just the one JST footprint file. That is all.

Since the suggestion was made, I ignored Windows’ indication that the graphics driver was up-to-date and I downloaded and installed the latest driver from AMD.

Now I am able to place the JST footprint. So… I suppose that the Choose Symbol tool was trying to render the footprint in its little inspection window, and something was going bad in the process. Very interesting. I have not seen any such behavior in any of the myriad of other graphical tools I used, but I appreciate the suggestion, because KiCad now seems much happier.