Footprint doesn't show up KiCad 8.0.1

Hello,

I downloaded several symbols and footprints from SnapMagic. Most of them worked without problems but I tried 2 different Micro USB 2.0 female connectors and the symbols are there but the footprints not.
As you can see in the screenshot the part is listed in the middle and the library appears on the left side.
Bottom left is the valid path to the footprint which is named UJ2-MIBH2-4-SMT.kicad_mod

First make sure the symbol points to a valid footprint.
Then make sure that the footprint (with it’s library) is correctly saved and available on your system (check with the footprint editor - try to open that exactly footprint).
Note that the library is only a folder, which must be enabled from Preferences–>Manage footprint libraries. Then the footprint files inside this folder become available.

Looking at your picture you might have restricted your filters too much:

• to the right of “footprint filter” (top toolbar) you have 3 filter options + a additional search string. The very right column shows only footprints which match all enabled filters:
  • according to the statusbar in your picture you have set:
    • library filter → only FP inside the selected library (marked library in the first column) are shown
    • pin count filter → only FP with same pincount as symbol are shown (this sometimes poses problems with unconnected mounting holes)
    • string search filter: you have typed “terminal” into the search box - only footprints with this string are shown

itself is and the footprint listed in the symbol definn

BTW be careful with version numbers. It’s 8.0.1, not 8.01, so I edited your title. There are 3 numbers separated by periods: major release, minor release, and patch level. Minor release is nowadays 0, except once in the past with 5.1.x versions.

Thank you. I tried all filters and found the valid footprint. I even can display it in the preview. But when I click “Save and continue” it’s not saved and when I open the footprint window again the line is still yellow and the part has no valid footprint.

I think the selected footprint you need at the far right column thats on its own needs to be double clicked to change the one in yellow. As far as I can see the highlighted one is not the same as the one on its own and I think the one thats alone is the one you want so double click it and then save etc.
:mouse:

Thank’s. I double-clicked the right column several times without success, but somehow after a few tries the footprint was accepted :slight_smile:

1 Like