Font width bug in Schematic Editor

Got a head scratcher of an issue in KiCad 7.0.8 on Ubuntu when instantiating symbols from a library into the schematic. The system is using the KiCad font as default. When the symbol is placed on the schematic, the reference designator text looks normal. but the Value text is rendered as strokes only a single pixel wide. Font is the same, size is the same, but somehow it lost its width along the way from library to schematic. Changing to different fonts works, but when changing it back to Kicad font by editing the text in the schematic the skinny text returns. Editing the reference designator does not produce the same problem, it always renders properly. In the symbol editor, the placeholder text for all the symbol properties, including Value, look normal- same size, same width. What’s happening here???

-Jeff

That’s a head scratcher all right. Can you log a bug on GitLab and include an archive of a simple project with a schematic which shows this?

– another Jeff.

I found the issue. I suspect that somehow this is related to the import process from a CADSTAR design. As it turns out there IS a thickness attribute for fonts, yet it is evidently optional as it does not appear on every text field property in my library. I just had to hack the symbol files with a text editor to do a little find/replace action.

From the symbol files here’s a typical entry for a text field on a symbol:
(property “Footprint” “XXX:RAYCHEM (SMD100F)” (at 0 0 0)
(effects (font (size 1.27 1.27)) hide)

But some properties have an additional parameter in the effects line:
(property “(PartNumber)” “108-00001.A” (at 0 0 0)
(effects (font (size 1.6087 2.032) (thickness 0.0254)) (justify left bottom) hide)

The ‘thickness 0.0254’ was tripping me up. It should be 0.1524 to match the thickness of the other text properties. Or maybe the better solution is just to delete the thickness parameter altogether? Then I suppose the default value would be used instead. Hey y’all, what’s your take on this?

Regards,
-Jeff

1 Like

I would raise this as an issue. Even better if you can show the CADSTAR original. Import is always a bit undertested as most of us don’t have the original CAD software

1 Like

I’ve fixed the CADSTAR importer. (EEschema currently supports only normal vs bold for text thickness. (1f7ac083) · Commits · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab)

For documents already imported, deleting the (thickness 0.0254) expression entirely is probably best.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.