First Time User - Very Impressed

Very nice one… :+1:

First,
welcome to KiCad (and this Forum).
It’s quite an impressive PCB for a first KiCad project, but then again you already have some PCB design experience in another program.

For absolute first timers its probably best to start with some blinking LED project, as it will probably take a few iterations to get the hang of KiCad. and such simple projects are easily discarded and a newer better version made from scratch.

After gaining a bit of confidence such more involved projects are of course wonderfull to get to know the more “hidden” parts of KiCad.

From your screenshot:
https://kicad-info.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/optimized/3X/e/3/e3862777ddd94559c2254de876368b151a863f5d_1_690x389.png

I am surprised from the almost absence of ground planes. I see some via stitching of GND between Top and bottom, and I can not see the whole picture from a screenshot (no net highlighting), but the area around U11 (Microcontroller probably) has no GND plane whatsoever, and no thought is given to the return paths of signal currents.
The board will probably work just fine (Although I 'd really like to see more GND around the uC) but I doubt if it would pass any EMC regulations.

If you can find the time, read (and implement) more about GND planes and their uses. In the long run it will make you a better PCB designer.

Also, is the screenshot with the tracks a newer or an older version as your finished PCB (probably older, but why posted later?) The PCB has 2 big TO220 THT devices (Watch where currents from those things are going !!!) while the screenshot from the PCB tracks seems to have SMD devices for those 2 devices.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.