"Find" dialog box could be clearer?

In my own schematics I often want to find reference designations (such as Q10) and would experience minor annoyance by it first finding a pin by that name.

Eureka! Today I just tried unchecking the “Search pin names and numbers” and it seemed to be finding only reference designations.

The attached image shows an experiment. I have some text including “2021” and I would expect the find to find it but it does not. Basically I am complaining about a lack of clarity in the find function.

Would it be possible to have a complete and more granular set of tick boxes, similar to the selection filter in 5.99 pcb layout editor?

In particular I am looking for one tick box which says “Search symbol reference designations.”
And maybe the last one would be “Search other text” (text that is not included in the other tick boxes).

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor (64-bit)

Version: (5.99.0-12762-g961c127ebe), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.5
libcurl/7.78.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.11

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19043), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Oct 10 2021 12:01:09
wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.76.0
OCC: 7.5.0
Curl: 7.78.0-DEV
ngspice: 35
Compiler: Visual C++ 1929 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

We are now in string freeze for v6 release at the end of the year. We literally cannot rename strings now :wink:

Thanks for your response but it is over my head. What is a string freeze? I am more familiar with a spring freeze. :slight_smile:

Basically a string is just text.

“This is a string”
“This is a string as well”

So all this bits of UI are separate strings. We cannot reword any of that right now.

OK thanks. But the other angle is: Do you (or others on this forum) see my point or am I missing something in my use of the software as it is?

That doesn’t look like a lack of clarity to me – it looks like a bug. Can you post a small schematic that exhibits 2012 not being found?

(Or you can email it to me at jeff@rokeby.ie.)

Slug_O_Cuter_04_10-23-2021a.zip (37.6 KB)

Thank you. The schematic file is in the attached zip.

It is only a home hobby schematic…not very large but I can send something pruned if you prefer.

Turn off “words” and it will find it, but yeah there appears to be a bug with word detection and numbers…

Do you want me to launch a bug report?

BTW I check “words” because I don’t want it finding R17 when I search for R1.

1 Like

Nah, I’m on it. (Believe it or not, it’s never worked.)

1 Like

A related issue: https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/5002

That deserves a hearty “WOW.” It goes without saying that WOW upside down is MOM but I guess that is another matter.

Hmm, doesn’t work here: MUM -> WꓵW :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Ah-Hahhh @BobZ

So it wasn’t just your eyesight or glasses being the problem :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like
3 Likes

Thanks. I had a hunch that something like that might be the case.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.