Fillzone not working

Hi all,

I have a DPAK with vias for cooling to a gnd plane. I made the vias using the “better way for via stitching” topic.
Now i want to add a gnd plane so like the gnd on the top layer i draw the plane click fill but i see nothing even when i press “B” or change my view.

PS: Does anyone know if IPC allows 230Vac to cross the negative one on another layer?

The most common problems associated with fill zones (copper pours) were summarized by @Rene_Poschl just yesterday, in the thread “GND Zones not filling” at GND Zones not filling :

I posted a footprint for DPAK (that DOES work) in the thread “Pad Holes Under SMT for Heat Sinking and other questions” at Pad Holes Under SMT for Heat Sinking and other questions . Compare its construction to yours - especially the properties of the pads.

If you still have a problem after investigating these potential faults, post your footprint file.

Dale

2 Likes

I found the problem, the vias have the correct net but still the zone does not want to be there.
If lay down a track for example from one via to another and i add the zone it seems to work fine!

So basicly it only works if there are tracks, it won’t accept only vias.

The IPC have nothing to say about electrical safety, which is IEC, EN and UL territory.
Which market classification your board is made for determines which standard applies

The negative one? Perhaps you should leave the 230 Vac to someone else?

FR4 usually has a rating of 800 V / mil but this degrades to anywhere between 300 V / mil and 150 V / mil over time depending on the environment. For a double sided board the tracks on opposite sides of the board are probably the least of your worries.

But since you are interested in the requirements specified by the relevant safety standard it would seem you are interested in marketing this product. In that case, depending on the application, you are likely to have to submit your board for testing to see if it complies with the relevant standards in each country you plan to market in. This can get very expensive very quickly.

1 Like

Its just a prototype, but the first time i used 230vac in a design.
This one won’t go to the market but the next one will. just wanted to know if there is enough isolation between the 2 layers. I assume it will be good enough but i wanted to know if there are any design rules about this.

The best curse of action would be to ask your manufacturer if they can guarantee that it has the needed isolation. (But first you need to lookup in the standard that applies to you, what isolation you need to guarantee.)

I believe here in Australia anything that connects to the mains must withstand a minimum of 1 KV. The typical double sided board is aprox. 57 mil, at the worse case that should be good enough for 8.5 KV. You need to be more concerned about track and pad spacing when you route them on the same layer and route slots where necessary.

Edit: Also keep in mind, most electrical safety standards consider high or hazardous voltages to be anything above 30 Vac and 60 Vdc.

1 Like