Filled zones looking weird! Why?

I just did some experiments with filled zones and got a really weird result.

The border of the filled zone (adjacent to a SSOT28) looks quite weird:

Maybe someone can shed some light on that behaviour? How can I can the filling
to be even/smooth?

Thanks!

What are the clearances on that GND Pad 28 - it looks like a composite pad made up of a standard rectangular pad and a rounded rectangle pad? Would be my first thing to check.

It’s the standard “Package_SO:SSOP-28_3.9x9.9mm_P0.635mm”
from the KiCad FP library.

Could it be that the rounding comes from the routed track connected to the rectangular pad?

I would assume it is a single pad. (Multiple overlapping pads create weird artefacts on the mask layer. This one does not seem to do that.) Looks more like the beginnings of thermal spokes that are not really created because the settings do not allow them to be fully formed.

It looks like the thermal spokes algorithm can not really connect your pad. I assume this is why you manually connected it. I would suggest to play around with the thermal connection settings of the zone.

Parts of your problems could also stem from this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/602176

TlDr: Thermal spokes of a given pad can be overwritten by the antipad area of nearby pads.

1 Like

Playing around with the parameters for thermal made the boarder look more straight and not that uneven!
Not perfect but fully acceptable to work with. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.