File errors after update

I just updated from 4.0.6 to 4.0.7 to get correct scaling of caps: 3d footprints for caps all scaled wrongly…?

After this update I get these file missing errors any time I do anything involving the library:

Errors were encountered loading footprints:
IO_ERROR: footprint library path '/Library/Application Support/kicad/modules//Battery_Holders.pretty' does not exist
from kicad_plugin.cpp : FootprintEnumerate() : line 1801
IO_ERROR: footprint library path '/Library/Application Support/kicad/modules//Housings_SON.pretty' does not exist
IO_ERROR: footprint library path '/Library/Application Support/kicad/modules//Housings_CSP.pretty' does not exist
IO_ERROR: footprint library path '/Library/Application Support/kicad/modules//discret.pretty' does not exist
IO_ERROR: footprint library path '/Library/Application Support/kicad/modules//divers.pretty' does not exist
IO_ERROR: footprint library path '/Library/Application Support/kicad/modules//labels.pretty' does not exist
IO_ERROR: footprint library path '/Library/Application Support/kicad/modules//Connectors_USB.pretty' does not exist

Haven’t really minded it until now, but I now want to place drill hoes straight from pcbnew and that dialog just gives this error and exits when I try to search:

I’ve git cloned the library locally so I guess I could use that instead of url:s which I guess is the default if this would help here?

Your fp-lib-table points to local libs that do not exist anymore. (Your update overwrote the lib directory)

Now you have two options to fix this. Option 1 is to remove every mention of the local libs from your fp-lib-table and go with the kicad default of only using the github plugin (not advisable in my opinion) or go with a proper local setup.

If you setup local libs make sure you put them into a directory under your control. (not in a system directory. A good example is your user directory.)
Just follow this good tutorial by @bobc to setup local libs correctly.

Alternatively you can also use the python script found in the library utils repo do download your libs. (This script adds a few features like having an easy option to update. As soon as my last PR is merged it will also be possible to switch between different releases with it.)

2 Likes