Feedback on hierachial labels, am I doing it right?

Usually when I make a PCB I just insert medium sized schematic sheets and just work with global labels to connect things. So far I have been content doing it this way. Kicad has shown me hierachial labels. I am not entirely sure what the purpose is. It must be clarity for large projects and since I personally don’t see the necessity for it(yet), I think my projects are not really complex enough to “justify” the usage of hierachial labels.

Anyways, things exist for a reason right? For the sake of learning I thought to alter one of my schematics to work with hierachial labels. It does look pritty and orderly, not remotely obfuscating.

I do have one question about the power labels. I thought it logical to add the power lines to the root schematic so you can clearly see which schematic has 5V, 12V and ground.

In the schematic sheets I added this. It works but I get DRC warnings saying that I have 2 names for one net. So to answer my own question. I am obviously not doing it right.

If I want to use hierachial labels for power lines like I did, what is the proper way to do so?

I have another question which may or may not be matter of design taste. My 12V comes from an RJ12 connector in the ‘loconet’ schematic. The 5V is made in the voltage regulator.

In the root schematic it is not entirely clear where the 12V comes from and where the 5V comes from. Is there something like a guideline or anything which can says something meaningfull about this matter? Or can I simply add just a little bit of texts at some places?

Kind regards,

Bas

Hi, I’m far from an expert or experienced user of Hierarchical labels . . . but in this example . . .

I suspect you would do this . . .

1 Like

Thx for your reply.

I understand your solution. There are no local power symbols (neat add-on in kicad 7?). I do think it is slightly obfuscating than using regular power symbols. :thinking: (lesser bright green is perhaps also not a bad idea)

Regards,

Bas

I changed one of my schematics and I must say that I do seem some merit in using the hierarchial sheet system. My front schematic now gives me more and better information than 7 idle sheets with global labels.

In this example I used a single H bridge schematic and made 2 instances because one works at 12V and the other on 18V.

Vcc can be whatever I connect to is. That makes this specific even sheet better recycleble

I have read that I should do inputs on the left side and outputs on the right side. I do not follow that believe.

With graphic lines I made some RJ12 connectors :see_no_evil:. Those have to stay inside the schematic sheet in for recycling purposes.

Kind regards,

Bas

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.