Feature Request: Design Rule Manager

Hi to everyone,

I’ve just switched from Altium to KiCad 6 and I’ve found a missing feature which Altium has that would make layout design easier.

The Layout Design Rules are missing fine tuning granularity. For example, I may want to increase the clearence between a coper zone and a set of nets but not with others, or I may want a minimum track width for some nets and another minimum for some others.

This is a feature that Altium has implemented in their design rules manager and allows, for example, to increase the clearence betwheen an RF net and a copper zone, but still mantain a lower clearence between the copper zone and pads.

To solve this, I think that a good aproach would be to have a Manager such as Altium has. Sorry I’ve it is already implemented or it is done through another way, I’ve not been able to find it anywhere.

KiCad v6 has new Custom Rules in Board Setup. Currently there’s no GUI, you have to learn to write it as code.

Thanks for the reply! Is there any tutorial to learn how to write them? And are there any expectations to include this feature?

You’ll find Syntax Help above the text area, there are some examples there. The PCB Editor manual has of course some more information. There have been some plans to write some tutorial or example collection. You can also find former discussions, Search results for 'custom rules' - KiCad.info Forums.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.