Feature Request: Add checkbox to footprint to exclude from Step file export

It would be helpful (to me, at least) to be able to flag footprints for exclusion from the Step file export function. My mechanical colleagues are mostly interested in connector locations and tall components. Being able to exclude small parts - Rs,Cs etc would substantially reduce the size of the Step files which they need to manipulate. There are already ‘Exclude from position files’ and ‘Exclude from bill of materials’ check boxes in the footprint properties so hopefully adding another for ‘Exclude from Step output’ would not be too hard to add.

But you know that the feature request placed here need not to be noticed by developers.

Hi Piotr, Sorry, I am a very infrequent poster to the forums - where should I post a feature request?
Thanks,
Ian

The proper place is the KiCad bug tracker, link below. You can post a feature request there as well. Best to signify that in the title.

https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues

Thanks Martin - I’ll do that.

If you consider the topic solved, you might want to tick the checkbox below the post. This will mark it as “solved”

The Check-Box is already in Kicad. It’s just not obvious unless hoping for something different than current… Simply Double-Click the Part/Footprint on the PCB (or, Right-Click>Properties) and Un-Check the ‘Show’ checkbox. Then, Export the Step file…

ADDED: A good place to put the CheckBox is in the Properties Panel that opens upon clicking the ‘Show-Hide Properties Mgr Icon’. There are other checkboxes there so, it makes sense.

1 Like

That’s what I was looking for! Thanks for pointing me to the correct menu. I think it does make sense for it to be with the 3D properties. The properties panel also effects the visibility within the layout view so maybe not such a good place for this?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.