Failed to set temporary file permission and can't rename temp name

Hi Guys

When I create a new project on my samba server

I get the error message “Failed to set temporary file permissions” for the .kicad_sch and kicad_pcb file. I don’t get this error when I create a new project on my local hard disk,

How to fix this issue?
Ubuntu20.04
kicad 6.0.4

before I used 6.0.2. So I didn’t find this issue.
This problem has only occurred since updating it from 6.0.2 to 6.0.3

You should not use KiCad V6.0.3 at all.
It was never released officially, because of some serious bug and KiCad V6.0.4 was released a few days later.

Your Samba bug may be related to:

Windows Specific Issues
Network Shares

Editing projects located on Windows networks shares provided by samba servers (non-Windows Server, i.e. Synology, FreeNAS) may result in crashes due to samba generating bad file change events and our cross-platform toolkit asserting the invalid event rather than ignoring it. Windows Server hosted shares should not encounter this issue.

You will have to work on a local drive if you encounter crashes working from a network drive for now. More details can be found in GitLab Bug #5740.

Thank you reminder!
How can I return to 6.0.2?

Hello @liu

Just go to 6.0.4 … the current version.

I updated to 6.0.4.
Issue is still here.

Application: KiCad 原理图编辑器

Version: 6.0.4-6f826c9f35~116~ubuntu20.04.1, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux 5.13.0-39-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, ubuntu, x11

Build Info:
Date: Mar 21 2022 17:21:29
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.71.0
OCC: 7.5.2
Curl: 7.81.0
ngspice: 31
Compiler: GCC 9.4.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

I notice you are using the Samba share via GVFS (Gnome Virtual File System). I find the GVFS Samba client while convenient for casual use isn’t as robust as a CIFS mount. Here’s an example of a HOWTO for Ubuntu: How to Mount SMB Shares on Ubuntu?

Good luck.

I tried using the CIFS to mount the samba drive.
The issue is still :frowning_face:

Hmm. I notice that in your original post, KiCad is attempting a cross-filesystem move when it should be a move-or-copy+delete. Perhaps this is the fallout from the attempt to reduce traffic on a network share that used to cause a different problem. Anyway, you should report your problem at Gitlab, ortherwise it may get lost here.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.