Facing an issue with kikit panelise pcb

I have a layout with a custom-shaped edge cut that will fit our custom-designed enclosure. I am attaching the layout’s edge-cut layer hiding all other layers.

the portion marked in red has a sharp edge, such 5 sharp edge cuttings are present in the PCB. I panelize the PCB using Kikit for production purposes. After panelizing the PCB those sharp edges are transformed into curved edges.

The image on the left side is my designed PCB, and on the right is the panelized PCB

Can anyone help me to sort out this issue? I am not able to find out my mistake in the setting. I am also pasting the KiKit Panel Configuration JSON File.

{
“layout”: {
“hspace”: “2mm”,
“vspace”: “2mm”,
“rows”: “2”,
“cols”: “3”
},
“tabs”: {
“type”: “fixed”
},
“cuts”: {
“type”: “mousebites”,
“spacing”: “1mm”,
“offset”: “0.2mm”
},
“framing”: {
“type”: “railstb”
},
“fiducials”: {
“type”: “3fid”,
“hoffset”: “2mm”,
“voffset”: “2mm”
},
“post”: {
“millradius”: “1mm”
}
}

Please help me to sort out this. Thank you in Advance

Well the fab place needs to mill out your edge cut and the smallest router bit is perhaps 2mm or so, so a 1mm radiused inside corner is not unexpected. Check with your fab house on minimum rout size.

I have not used kikit as I make my own arrays so I have full control over tab locations and mousebite designs.

You can have the router protrude a bit further into the board in one or both directions at the inside corner. I think I have heard this called dogbone corners or something like that. You remove enough material to let the square corner of the enclose fit all the way in.

Or, since you are using a custom-designed enclosure, fix that instead.

If it is low volume, a square file will fix each corner in about 5 seconds each :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Have you looked at the Plugin Author’s GitHub Issues page to see if there is a report of a similar issue ?

1 Like

I’m with teletypguy. It’s not a bug it’s a feature. Many PCB manufacturers can not make sharp inner corners due to limitations in the way the machines that make the PCB’s work. And because KiKit knows this, then what you see on the monitor is closer to what you will get. Even if you send a PCB with sharp inner corners to a PCB fab, they will almost certainly be rounded when you get the PCB back. From the look of your file, it’s even adjustable:

}
1 Like

Thank you @paulvdh @teletypeguy, I understand what you mentioned. I was really not aware that the PCB manufacturers have the limitation to work with sharp inner corners. The issue is that we have a mould for the enclosure which fits the PCB.

No related bugs are reported.

@paulvdh

}

making “millradius”: “0mm” solved my issue.

But now I have to enquire from my PCB manufacturer regarding the profiling process of the sharp inner corner of my PCB.

Thank you very much for the support and suggestion you gave. Thanks a lot.

Good luck with that. But do your corners really have to be sharp? A common solution is let the router create some extra room in the corners This is commonly known as “dogbones”.

Image source: Dogbones – Cncmadness – Carbon fiber machining

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.