F.Paste and B.Paste

I recently started to use KiCad again and installed 7.0.9. When I go to generate my Gerber files I do not see f.paste and b.paste for the include layers options. In previous versions it was there, and this is a layer that jlcpcb requires.

where did it go and how do I get it back there so I can select it for fabrication files?

Thank you,

Are those layers checked in PCB Editor->Board Setup?

You require it, or JLCPCB said they require it? My jobs don’t use paste.

Edit: Let me rephrase that. OP, did you ask JLCPCB to make you stencils and you were not aware that you have to turn on the paste layers before you plotted fhe Gerbers? Or did you ask for PCBA, which would require the paste layers also?

1 Like

If they are having the board fab make a stencil or do assembly, then the fab probably wants the paste layers.

2 Likes

no stencil is being requested. JLCPCB is stating they require it.

The input form for JLCPCB has a box saying Make me a stencil. If you tick that then they will ask you for the paste layers. But it looks like you asked for PCBA.

Bizarre :face_with_diagonal_mouth: as I use JLCPCB and I just went and checked past Gerber’s that I have had made and they do NOT contain either paste layers, so something has changed with them or something is lost in translation and I suggest you double check :smiley:
:mouse:

JLCPCB had a FAQ article of how to generate gerbers via KiCad for use with their systems. Did not say anything about the F.Paste and B.Paste only being needed if ordering a stencil.

In short, @3Dogs was correct, I needed to select them in the Board Setup options. It has been a while since I messed with KiCad and I have forgotten a few things…

Thanks everyone for the replies…

So it boils down to interpretation of “JLCPCB requires” which could mean:

• It was mentioned in a JLCPCB document
  • The online order form wouldn’t proceed unless you uploaded paste layers
  • Their engineers contacted you to say that paste layers were needed

So it turned out to be the first case, and I was assuming too much, thinking it might be case 3. As mousey and I said, we never needed to submit paste layers. It could be that JLCPCB document mentioned the paste layers for the sake of jobs that do need them.

1 Like