Exporting Images of Footprints/Symbols via Command Line

Currently, every contributor to the Kicad symbol/footprint library has to take a screen shot of the part one wants to contribute. I think it would be much simpler if the CI could export an image of the changed symbol/footprint and a GitLab Bot creates a comment with the corresponding image.

This would reduce the time effort of contributors and ensures that the image actually belongs to the contributed part.

Before I open an issue on GitLab, do you know if it is possible to extract the images via command line or via a Python script?

@cpresser has some thoughts on this. It would be nice to have some additional help.

I would very much like that functionality. We could integrate it in the CI or have kicad-bot post those pictures. There should be an issue for that, But I can’t seem to find that.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to generate those renderings - otherwise I would have done it already.
I welcome everyone to work on that.

For Footprints, it should be possible to get inspiration from kikit. I did make a shitty renderer for symbols in the past (https://github.com/cpresser/kicad-library-utils/tree/shittyDraw). It would require rework for v6.

Guess I found the issue you were talking about. I added a comment about the CI functionality.

Writing an own script to parse and generate the images sounds like a lot of effort and is probably missing a some native Kicad features. E.g. the Kicad theme will be lost that would be ‘important’ for generating documentation images.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.