Exclude pads from silkscreen in 3D render

Would it be possible to get the 3D renderer to exclude pads from silkscreen like it is possible to do whilst generating gerbers?

Already in the development version https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/merge_requests/46

2 Likes

Strictly speaking it removes the silkscreen from where there is no mask. Practically it includes pads.

There’s another option in gerber generation to remove silk from pads, but if I have understood correctly it was meant for pads which have the silk layer active (which were used for assembly drawings). Such pads shouldn’t exist in KiCad libraries anymore, am I right?

Such pads are not allowed in the official lib. User libs and third party libs can however still have footprints setup thus way.

I just tested with 5.1.5 and the option “Exclude pads from silkscreen” doesn’t remove all silk from pads in gerbers. Although this wasn’t the point of this thread, it’s better to be careful.

What I don’t like in silk is that it happens to fly in the air in 3D PCB view :slight_smile:
I have placed the THT buzzer such way that it is partially out of PCB.
I had also have to have as much access to 3mm LED from the backside of PCB that I placed it at thin PCB line (enough only to connect tracks). Looking at 3D PCB view even from the opposite side to that LED I see silk paint floating in the air.

Silk is nog clipped by the edge cut. Not just fir the 3d view but also gerber export. There is an issue somewhere reqesting this (I think created by @Evan_Shultz)

Gerber export I don’t care. PCB fab will cut it. Certainly you will not get a PCB with floating silk :slight_smile:

Re: Silk being clipped by edge cut

I wouldn’t 100% trust this. I remember years ago I assumed that our PCFab would trim silkscreen at the board perimeter so I didn’t pay much attention to the right-angle header strip silkscreen hanging way off the edge of the board. That is until I got the boards back from the manufacturer. Due to a combination of them NOT clipping the silkscreen at the board edge and how they packed their manufacturing panel, I had silkscreen from one board intruding onto a different board, even across pads. Even if one is able to get the board house to respin the board properly, you’ve lost time on an assumption.

1 Like

It was not 100% serious sentence :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.