ESP8266 templates

Hi everyone,

Are there any templates for ESP8266? I did not encounter any in the standard distribution, but I don’t know where else to look.

KiCad otherwise looks fantastic and I’m very much looking forward to building skins using it. Many thanks for your hard work.

Hi there & welcome,
A quick search with Google produced many results,
I checked out this one & it seems to have everything you are looking for

Hope this helps,

Pat.

1 Like

Be aware that the template linked above is under CC-SA-BY 4.0.
If you plan on publishing your own derivative work (in other words if you use that template) then you will need to do so under the same license (the share alike part) and you need to state where the original part came (the attribution part)

Unless you can show that the things you used are really already in the public domain.

From what I know of the legal stuff (Which is not much, I’m not a lawyer) templates like such are not unique enough to be recognized as intellecutal property. Any ESP-xx module footprint is very likely to have so much resemblance with any other that they’re almost indistinguasable.

But such may also depend on where you live.

Apart from that.
KiCad has a quite nice editor for creating footprints and you are also likely to want to use it to modify existing footprints for “special purposes”.
Learning to use the Footprint Editor is pretty trivial once you’re familiar with the rest of KiCad and just making such footprints from scratch seems faster than searching the 'net.

There seems to be a general aversion against creating schematic symbols and footprints which I do not understand. The ease of which you can make custom footprints was one of the reasons for me to embrace KiCad.

1 Like

Thanks! I looked in all the templates and online discussions, but did not see this. Very much appreciate the pointer.

@paulvdh Yes, a big reason for me as well. Even being fairly new at this PCB stuff, I have already found occasions to deviate from the official library parts that strictly follow the datasheet.

Any 3rd party template like this must be carefully checked dimensions, hole sizes and position, height etc. There are often minor errors

using Grep - I found it in:
/digikey-symbols/dk_RF-Transceiver-Modules.lib
/kicad-footprints/Module.pretty/Adafruit_HUZZAH_ESP8266_breakout.kicad_mod

Later grep show me more:
./kicad-symbols/MCU_Espressif.lib:F1 “ESP8266EX” 0 -100 50 H V C CNN
./kicad-symbols/MCU_Module.lib: AdafruitHUZZAHESP8266breakoutWithMountingHoles*

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.