ErrType(12): Different net assigned to a shared pin in another unit of the same component

This is ERC response for a drawing where I have several op-amps, the power of the op amps is connected to one of the units. Then I get this error in every other power pin of the other unit.
What this can mean? there exist somewhere an explanation of the possible errors?
BTW: can’t copy or select from the dialog :confounded:

1 Like

There are about 1 million web sites where you can post image nowadays, many of them for free :wink:

Anyway, it means you have connected different nets to a shared pin. Or its a bug.

it seems more like the second:

here you can see in the unit A the markers of the errors, no net there
ERC says:
ErrType(12): Different net assigned to a shared pin in another unit of the same component
@ (318.13 mm,314.32 mm): Pin 8 on U8 is connected to both +12V and Net-(U8-Pad8)
@ (318.13 mm,299.08 mm): Pin 4 on U8 is connected to both -12V and Net-(U8-Pad4)

What is your kicad version?

you are right, I should copy it, here it is:
Application: kicad
Version: (5.0.0-rc3-dev), release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.2
libcurl/7.47.0 GnuTLS/3.4.10 zlib/1.2.8 libidn/1.32 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 4.15.0-29-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.2 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 2.24
Boost: 1.58.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.8.0
Curl: 7.47.0
Compiler: GCC 5.4.0 with C++ ABI 1009

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=OFF
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Hm you might want to update to the stable v5 release (you are still running a nightly build from sometime between rc2 release and final release.)

damn!, I take this one from the Ubuntu ppa because I thought it was the stable, in this case I will need to wait or compile the source because there is no update available now (I check it a moment ago)

There is a different ppa for the stable release. Take a look at the download page on the kicad website for instructions

I’d try either placing “no connects” or the same Pwr symbols as on the other section of the part.

1 Like

yes I have the ppa for the stable, just doublechek now and the URL of the ppa I have is this:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/js-reynaud/kicad-5/ubuntu xenial main

the ppa for the development version is: ppa:js-reynaud/ppa-kicad
this one should be the stable

Something is not quite right. Are you using ubuntu or do you use the ubuntu stuff for a different distro?

Regarding the original problem: I now feel vindicated that we did decide to use a separate power unit for multi unit parts in the official lib. (Even if it breaks simulation but that has to take a back seat for getting pcbs made correctly)

So one solution would be to change the symbol to have a separate unit for the power pins like we do it over at the official lib. (this removes duplicated pins)

If you took the symbols from the official lib then i am quite certain that you do not run the stable release. (We fixed that particular thing shortly before rc3 i think)

I’m using Mint 18.2 KDE, at the moment I downloaded this version the version 5 was not ready in the specific Mint ppa.
But Mint 18 takes some things from Xenial, and usually apt is quite smart telling me when something is not compatible. Maybe the RC3 was uploaded as ‘stable’ into the xenial repo ?

Xenial is 16.04 (at least according to google)
I run 16.04 and for me v5 reports it self as: Version: 5.0.0-fee4fd1~65~ubuntu16.04.1, release build

I think you might be right… it sounds like https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1704083 ?

yes, this is a drawing made with the version 4.0.2, I will need to update the symbols on it probably, then

then maybe there is a reason to have Mint and Ubuntu separated on this case :rofl:

1 Like

“No connect” does not seem to work, but adding the same label/power symbol seems to work ok.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.