Error when trying to edit footprint

Hi, I was using Kicad v5.0.0 (x64) then updated to 5.0.2 (x64). I have Windows 10 x64.

I can’t edit footprints: when I try and select one footprint from Library Browser I get this:
"wxWidgets DebugAlert

C:/Jenkins/workspace/windows-kicad-msys2-stable/src/kicad/common/gal/opengl/cached_container_gpu.cpp(76): assert “IsMapped()” failed in Unmap().
Do you want to stop the program?"

The whole kicad is non responsive and must be force-closed.

I tried this many times; I tried to open a footprint from online library or from local downloaded library.

I looked in my C: drive and found no Jenkins folder (not even hiden)

What should I do?

Yet another failed assertion :cry: -> :sob:
“C:/Jenkins/Workspace” has multiple hits on the 'net:

https://duckduckgo.com/html?q=“C%3A%2FJenkins%2Fworkspace%2F”

and it may mean something to KiCad’s developers.

assert “IsMapped()” failed …

is not a good thing. I’m not very good at programming, but from what I know these usually mean there are bugs in the program. It’s a part of Open Source software I guess, where the price you pay is being able to help in the development and debugging process of software.

If it’s so easy to reproduce for you, it might help developers (Euhm, this is a user forum,not a developer forum) to have full version info and full text of the Failed Assertion. You can find copy (to clipboard) buttons for both when you see the text on your screen.

Before reporting a bug, I advise you to try the same action that led to the error with the latest nightly build (https://kicad-downloads.s3.cern.ch/index.html?prefix=windows/nightly/).

It may have been fixed in the meantime. In this case, no need to waste your time by reporting it. And if it still displays the error, follow this FAQ How can I help improve KiCad? - Section Bug Reports

It’s just the path in the machine where the program was compiled. Not your machine.

I thought assertions are only active in nightlies (Normally assert is only active if the debug flag is set)
Is there a problem with the build settings again?

I am also getting quite a lot of failed assertion in:

Application: kicad
Version: 5.0.2+dfsg1-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.64.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1a zlib/1.2.11 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) libssh2/1.8.0 nghttp2/1.36.0 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 4.19.0-2-amd64 x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 2.24
Boost: 1.67.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.62.0
Compiler: GCC 8.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

The 3D viewer also sometimes crops out. All KiCad windows (Including the project manager) get aborted without any warning and i’m staring at an empty desktop wondering what happened.

I got my KiCad version from Debian / Buster / apt and run updates about once a week.
I do not really use KiCad for my own projects at the moment, but mostly for testing things and answering forum questions. A simple question with a small scope helps me to focus on a sub-subject.

KiCad V5.0.2 has very noticably more bugs than V4.0.7.
Right now I’m thinking if I would want to use KiCad for a big project (size Olimex board) at the moment, and I’m having doubts because of the bugs. That is not a good sign. For such a project I would need a new PC though. I’m typing this on an 11 year old dualcore with N210 graphics.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.