Error warning disappears too soon

Using:
Version: 5.1.12-84ad8e8a86~92~ubuntu18.04.1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.58.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1 zlib/1.2.11 libidn2/2.0.4 libpsl/0.19.1 (+libidn2/2.0.4) nghttp2/1.30.0 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 5.4.0-90-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK

When requesting a zone fill, if there are errors in my file, there appears a message box, dialog box, error warning box, whatever one wishes to call it. It flashes for a fraction of a second and then disappears, leaving me to guess and try different “fixes” in order to proceed. It would be really sweet if this message would wait for me to dismiss it, so I can read it and fix the problem quickly.
Am I the only one who notices this? Is there a simple remedy?
Thanks for reading this far.

Zone filling shows a progress dialog. Are you sure it’s an error dialog? Anyway, such a rapidly disappearing progress dialog is bad UX and IMO shouldn’t be shown at all unless filling zones takes longer time.

Thanks for the insight, eelik! When the zone actually fills, I don’t see the dialog flash on my screen. Maybe it happens so quickly that I don’t even see it! Since I cannot possibly read what it says, I have no way of knowing if it is a progress report or an error message.

Does it look like this:

I could post some more screenshots from the screen recording, but most have a similar progress bar in the middle, but with some different text messages.

Thanks, paulvdh
Well, all I can tell for sure is that the box I see is grey in color. It is gone so quickly that I cannot read it at all.

I looked into the source code and I don’t find any other dialogs triggered by zone filling than the progress dialog.

1 Like

Thank you for your diligence here. After the board is populated a bit more, I can see the progress dialog, however briefly. Sorry to waste your time…

Not exactly a waste. I would think it good coding practice to have a minimum open time on a dialog box so the user isn’t confused by what is going on.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.