Error on STEP export

Most of us have learned to press and keep some key down, or are prepared to write lengthy stupid sentences (like yours) for somewhat comical effect.

1 Like

if it is only a square border, maybe you could share the kicad file for the people that are more experienced to take a look ? Never had a problem with a square border before.

How do I add a file here?

Try simple dragging or copy/paste.

SLKCD012.kicad_pcb (390.2 KB)

The 3D files aren’t included, so the result isn’t the same. It succeeds for me with the models it can find. It’s more probable that some of the 3D models you’ve got aren’t good.

If you still want us to test further you have to archive the footprints, see Cache/Embed 3D Model in Footprint? and the action plugin linked there…

The project archive plugin fails to run properly with an error saying: ascii codec can’t decode byte 0xe2 in positions 33: ordinal not in range (128).

But that is ok, 3D models are now the least of my worries because now PCB new has decided that nets for pins on a header need to be jumbled up so my whole design and hours upon hours of work are now useless.

I opened the kicad project from FreeCAD and it complained about my crystal model. Not sure why, I made that one myself so i know there is nothing funny in it. Could it be the extruded text I had on it?

It would of course be useful if the error messages could be more specific.

Which Report message did you get at the log?

It would of course easier to debug if you would add your problematic model :wink:

“I made it myself” => “there’s nothing wrong with it”
Non sequitur. It depends on how you made it. There may be something wrong even if you don’t know about it.

1 Like

Well that was the point of using the export project plugin so that I could share the entire project with models but it failed as per above. The offending step of the crystal is attached.

IQXC-180.stp (407.2 KB)

Apparently it’s a multi part model, well I am not sure what it means as it’s a single body, like i say, I made it so I know there is no weirdness like that.

“Exception while processing, not enough memory available.” (FreeCAD 0.18, Windows)

The model file itself is small, but there must be something wrong with it. Did you create it with some other program?

EDIT: the file itself points to “steptools. com”. It’s of course possible that the model is valid but KiCad and FreeCAD can’t process it. I’m sure Maui will say something more about this…

i made it with solid edge. Maybe it’s the text? Just strange that Kicad can display it using freecad as the 3D engine but can’t otherwise handle it?

Inside STEP file there is a warning note:

/* OPTION: strings as raw bytes, not using required /X/ escapes */

It may be an exporting option for SolidWorks to be enabled?

what does that mean?

I was suggesting to check your SolidWorks exporting options.

Anyway you should rise an issue both at launchpad for kicad2step code and at FreeCAD forum attaching the file.
Your model is readable by i.e. CadAssistant of OpenCascades, so both sw shoul handle it correctly.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.