Error Loading PCB - Expecting ')'

I recently upgraded to 8.0.2 and had files from version 7.0 that have angled silkscreen ( I am making some custom flex cables)

When I try to open the .PCB files in 8.0.2 I get an error message that it’s expecting a ‘)’ in the PCB file on a specific line and it will not open the file. I did not have this with previous 7.0 versions.

This issue seems to be related to making the text box angled as horizontal boxes do not present this problem.

I can ‘fix’ the problem by editing the PCB file and adding the ‘)’ prior to the ‘(angle xxx)’ entry’s in the PCB file as follows:

)(angle 225)

I have also found this to be true if I start a blank project and put a rotated text box on the PCB file, save the file, and then try to re-open - I will get a similar error.

Not sure if anyone else has seen this as an issue or if I’m just doing something wrong with text boxes…

Thanks,

It’s not you do anything wrong with the textbox. Even the most “stupid” actions using the UI should not cause the output file to get corrupted.
Can you provide step by step instructions how do you get corrupt file from a blank project? So we could attempt to reproduce the issue.

Sure!

• Create a new project
  • Open the PCB file
  • Add a text box
  • Enter any text and assign it’s layer to F.Silkscreen (any layer should work)
  • Change the orientation to 45 or 255 - either seem to make it fail. I just type in a value to this box
  • Save the file and close the PCB file
  • Try to re-open and you should get the error Expecting ‘)’ and the line number where the error is at…

See if that will do it. I’m using Version 8.0.2

Does not fail for me.
Can you try to open my file to see if it raises an error on your machine?
Or maybe you could upload your example file (best it would be this minimum test scenario).

angled_textbox_kc8.kicad_pcb (2.2 KB)

Ok, I think I see what is going on. I was able to open your file just fine and you had used the Add Text command. My issue is when I use the Add TextBox command. I did that with your file and it fails. Unfortunately, I cannot upload files as this is my first post.

OK, can you check again?
I’ve added the text Box now. My fault I’ve tried with Text before, but still I can open it without issues.
Probably you could try to upload your file now, since we chat a bit now.

angled_textbox_kc8.kicad_pcb (2.6 KB)

Hmmm… I still get the error when I try to open the file here… I looked at the pcb file with a txt editor and it looks just like what I have generated here for rotated txt boxes. Not sure what is going on.

I can use regular text for now till we figure out what is going on… Seems this is something on my side…

And I can’t upload yet :frowning:

Here is the version info of what I am running…

Application: KiCad PCB Editor x64 on x64

Version: 8.0.2, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.4
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 8.3.0
FontConfig 2.14.2
libcurl/8.5.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.3

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19045), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Apr 27 2024 23:05:17
wxWidgets: 3.2.4 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.83.0
OCC: 7.7.1
Curl: 8.5.0-DEV
ngspice: 42
Compiler: Visual C++ 1936 without C++ ABI

Build settings:

OK, so does it mean you get this error with my second uploaded file (the one that uses proper Text Box item)?

If yes, try to upgrade your installation to 8.0.3rc1:
https://downloads.kicad.org/kicad/windows/explore/8.0-testing/download/kicad-8.0-testing_8.0.3.rc1.1.g6b7b6fa3e3-x86_64-lite.exe

If my file opens OK, but yours still crashes, maybe you can copy+paste the contents of your offending kicad_pcb file (as it’s plain text, it should go through).

I did get the error with your second uploaded file.

I upgraded with the link you provided and now I can open my files and yours will no errors!

1 Like

So it must have been some bug that was fixed with the latest nigthly build. It will go into release 8.0.3 (now its a release candidate only).

Thanks for the help!

Read five more posts and you will self promote to Basic; after which you can upload as you wish.

The links in this FAQ explain a lot about the operations of this forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.