Error "ImportOCAF2.cpp(1159): Unnamed#assembly has null shape" in FreeCad when importing from KiCad

Hello,
I’m started to use KiCad and FreeCad some days ago and this is my first post here.
I’m working in a board assembly with many parts and I got that error and I have no idea if the problem is in KiCad or in FreeCad, so I first posted this question in FreeCad forum and no solution so far, so I moved here, maybe someone already got this same situation.

The issue:
I’m trying to create a board in KiCad and check if all the components are ok in the final assembly using FreeCad. So I created the board in KiCad with all 3D models and exported them as a VRML model. I choose VRML model because I can get all the details like silkscreen, soldering points, copper, etc.

In FreeCad I’m importing that board and adding other STEP models to build a sub-assembly. With all parts selected I’m trying to save them as a new STEP model (yes, STEP, not VRML, this will be a new 3D model in KiCad library), but here I’m getting the error " ImportOCAF2.cpp(1159): Unnamed#TestBoard has null shape".

After some try and error, I figure out that the problem is the PCB that came from KiCad. As I’m new with these two software, I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong, or if my system is not properly configured, if the problem is in KiCad, in FreeCad or something else.

Here is the step-by-step to reproduce the problem, just the PCB is enough:

In KiCad

• Open KiCad and create a new project
  • Open PCB Editor
  • On PCB Editor:
    • Select the layer “Edge.Cuts”
    • Use the tool “Draw a rectangle” to draw the board
    • Go to menu FileExportVRML…
    • Choose the path and click on OK

In FreeCad

• Open FreeCad and create a new document
  • Go to menu FileImport… and select the previously saved file. Here we can see the board and the “Report view” is empty
  • Select the board in the Model tab
  • Go to menu FileExport…
  • Type the file name, select STEP as file type and click on Save
  • At this point I have this error in Report view: “22:55:28 ImportOCAF2.cpp(1159): Unnamed#TestBoard has null shape” and the file is not saved

My KiCad version:
Application: KiCad PCB Editor (64-bit)

Version: (6.0.2), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.5
libcurl/7.78.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.11

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19044), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Feb 12 2022 14:32:09
wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.76.0
OCC: 7.6.0
Curl: 7.78.0-DEV
ngspice: 36
Compiler: Visual C++ 1928 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

My FreeCad version:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24267 +99 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: Branch_0.19.3
Hash: 6530e364184ce05ccff39501e175cf2237e6ee4b
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: English/Canada (en_CA)

Thanks in advance

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.