Error Adding DigiKey Library

I am trying to add the symbol and footprint libraries to kicad 6

I downloaded and placed them in my keycad folders. namely

kicad 6.0/footprints/digikey-footprints-pretty

and kicad 6.0/footprints/symbols/digikey-symbols

the particular product (digikey part number 732-2745-ND) is listed by digikey in category
Connectors, Interconnects, Terminal Blocks, Wire to Board

I added that file to my global via preferences, manage symbol libraries and added the library dk_Terminal_Blocks-Wire_To-Board using the dark icon at the bottom of the screen.

When I go to project and try to add a symbol from this library, the library does appear in the choices.

The first time it did not appear, I assumed it did not add. So I tried again and got the message that it is already in the global library

I erred somewhere. Can you give me any ideas?

Gary

Is your library listed in the Global Symbols Library list?

It will be at the very bottom of the list, below all the Kicad libraries.

If I go to preferences manage symbols libraries global libraries I do not see it. Should I be looking elsewhere?

If the library is not in the list, it has not been installed.

1/ You downloaded the libraries… correct.
2/ You moved the libraries to personal library folders… correct.

3/ You used the “folder” icon with the pop-up “add existing library to table”… incorrect. This is for adding an already recognized, and translated to kicad, library. This icon is used to re-instate a library that has been deleted with the Rubbish bin icon.

You now need to click on the “+” icon (to the left of the folder icon) , then
Click on the grey space in the library path column,
Click on the folder icon at the right of that line that has now appeared,
Use the page that has now appeared to navigate to the personal library in which you placed the Digikey library.
Double click on that library.
Give the library a nickname and save.

You will need to follow the above same procedure with your footprint library.

Library installation and manipulation is all explained in the FAQ
https://forum.kicad.info/t/kicad-7-beginners-guide-to-personal-symbol-and-footprint-libraries/38738

Edit: Make sure you read the section on “Nicknames” as this determines where, in the library list in the Schematic/Symbol/PCB/Footprint Editors, your Digikey libraries show.

@kartonman

I had never considered the installation of imported libraries when writing that FAQ.
In the next few days I will edit that FAQ to include importing libraries.

Thanks for the idea! :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.