ERC issue with adapter board

Hi gurus,

I’m making a simple adapter board and have an issue with ERC where I do not understand something. My schematic looks like this:

and when I run ERC on this I get an error:

So I looked around and learned that I need to add a power flag:

Now, running ERC again, I get the “opposite” error:

What am I missing?
The pins on the connectors are all marked as passive, and the ground as input.

Thanks,
Robert

What happens if you make a third copy of the GND symbol and connect that copy only to the PWR_FLAG ?

Same error:

Could you copy (Help->About KiCAD->Copy Version Info) and paste your version informaton here ?

Use the Copy Version Info button as was adviced and paste the text here.

I am in v5.1.9 and it works as expected, are those two the only components in the schematic ?

Application: KiCad
Version: (5.1.8)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.5
libcurl/7.71.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1g (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.3.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh2/1.9.0 nghttp2/1.41.0
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.73.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.71.0
Compiler: GCC 10.2.0 with C++ ABI 1014

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Thanks, I re-did the whole schematic, and the problem remains the same. In 5.99 it behaves as expected. Thanks for the help.

If I draw the schematic without any GND symbol, then ERC is satisfied.
When I add a GND symbol however, ERC complains with:

And after adding a PWR_FLAG like below, ERC is satisfied again:

I could not find that other connector symbol in KiCads libraries (but also did not search very hard).

I am missing an essential part of the error message in that screenshot.
It says:
Pin1 (Power output) of component #FLG0120 is connected...
and there the screenshot cuts off. Connected to what?

For ERC the rules are pretty straightforward. When there is a pin with type “Power Input” (such as a GND symbol) connected to a net, then that net must also have a single “Power Output” pin. Connecting multiple Power Output pins together is also prohibited for ERC.

If you look at the “Conn_Coaxial” symbol in the symbol editor (hover over it in Eeschema and press [Ctrl + e]) then both pins are set to passive:

And passive pins can be connected to anything except an “Unspecified Pin” or a “No Connection” according to the default ERC matrix:

To check if there is anything fishy with your other connector, then also check it’s pin types in the symbol editor, or post the project here. If posting, then zip the whole project inclusive the “ProjectName-Cache.lib” file. (Did you use connector symbols from the default libraries or did you modify them in any way?

Yes, thanks. I understand this and as I stated in the previous post, it works as it should in 5.99. I think either the file got corrupted (?) or there was a bug in the 5.1.8 release. I did not make any modifications to the library symbols.

I gave it a try on v5.1.8 but I couldn´t reproduce it either, but I am glad that you could sort it out!

Application: Eeschema
Version: (5.1.8)-1, release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.5
    libcurl/7.71.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1g (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.3.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh2/1.9.0 nghttp2/1.41.0
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
    Boost: 1.73.0
    OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
    Curl: 7.71.0
    Compiler: GCC 10.2.0 with C++ ABI 1014

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.