ERC falsely reporting Pin Not Connected

@Piotr

I also try to spend time emulating posters’ problems. It is also a great way to learn finer points of the programme I rarely, if ever use.

The only topics I usually keep away from are:
anything to do with Mac. I’ve never been exposed to Apple in any shape or form.
simulation; because I would rather bread-board and observe with a CRO.
& 3D: because I’d rather just look at and measure the real parts with a rule.

I used to be a Windows person, but I became sick and tired of them changing things for the sake of change, not for improvement.
Pretty happy with Linux these days.

Oh, and I also started with Protel… Protel for DOS (a floppy disc for schematic and a floppy disc for autotrax)… the good/bad old days. Early 1990s, I think, along with dial-up internet and “chat rooms”.

Your list it very close to mine.
I skip over any questions regarding directly operational system problems.
I used to simulate only simple circuits and Demo (limited) version of PSpice I use rarely is enough for me. I tried LTSpice but after simulating one circuit and having no more need through 5+ years I forgot everything about it. I need not to learn new tool for simulation.
Starting with KiCad I learned FreeCad only to a minimum extent to be able to make 3D element models. The biggest problems I had with disappearing surfaces colors. But as last model I defined myself an year or more ago I will have a problem to do it again.

Consider changing your Profile Picture - it helps to associate the person with his statements. I do not make any distinctions between the Js who are speaking here :slight_smile:
I just used my old photo I like the best.

Heck I eat Apples from the tree outside my window!

After advice on this forum, I installed Linux Mint on a HDD segment of my XP lab computer because I could not run KiCad under XP. But when I installed KiCad, I found that I could not choose the desired nightly version. Or at least…not when those were 5.99. Now a big segment of the HDD devoted to Mint is there unchanged but unused. Maybe I should try again when 6.0 is the stable release?

Did you try the console instructions ? :

sudo add-apt-repository --yes ppa:kicad/kicad-dev-nightly
sudo apt update
sudo apt install kicad-nightly
# You can also install debug symbols:
sudo apt install kicad-nightly-dbg
# Demo
sudo apt install kicad-nightly-demos
# and libraries
sudo apt install kicad-nightly-footprints kicad-nightly-libraries kicad-nightly-packages3d kicad-nightly-symbols kicad-nightly-templates

Thanks. This was all many months ago. I am very unfamiliar with Linux and I do not remember what I did. But anyway it seems that the process of installing software under Linux seems very different from that under Windows.

I probably will not be able to try this today but are saving your ideas and will attempt it within a few days.

Just as a followup.

For sucky time reasons I ended up going back to Eagle to finish up the earlier board, but I downloaded the KiCad 6.0 nightly build a few days ago and this morning I’m making a display board and it’s going swimmingly.

6.0 is really nice! It’s intuitive, clean and well designed. Now I just need to know where to send the beer :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your help, I’m sure I’ll be back here with more questions but for now things are going well.

@jmk you’ll come around to 3D :slight_smile: I used to think the same thing, but once I started making complex cases for my boards 3D is truly a miraculous improvement to the whole process.

For instance, a while ago I entered a contest (https://forum.freesk8.org/t/dougms-hoyt-pro-puck-design-contest-entry/896) and if I had not had the 3D models of the “guts” of the device (including circuit board, etc.) I never would have been able to accurately design the housing.

I lost the contest, but I still use my design of the remote.

DougM

I can’t say for certain. but recently i had some schematics where,visibly, the connections were valid but were not logiocally made as connections in the netlist. Sometimes if you draw a line over the “connector” to the symbol it does not connect. Sometimes its alignment precision. Its not a good behavior, but fairly rare. messed up one PCB on me though.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.