ERC check misses unconnected 5V and 0V

But they do connect nets between sheets. They are a peculiar hybrid of label and component

Are you sure you are not confusing the “Power Flag” with the “Power Symbol (Port)”? Power flags don’t connect between nets at all or the op’s example above would have some serious problems.

Yes, its Ports that connect.

TEST.zip (5.0 KB)

Hi,

On the same subject, I have created a very simple schematic, but still it doesn’t detect the connections that are not connected which are 5V and 0V.

Any ideas why ?

Please see attached schematic.

Regards

Gaz

What makes you think they are not connected? And by the way, you’ve changed the grid size which is going to cause you problems. It should be left at the default.

Hi,

I am going by the second comment near the start.

"Because there are no junctions. Place them and then ERC will not complain.

PS. These small circles (or rectangles for some other things) indicate that there is no connection at this point."

Also all connections and lines were made, then the 5V and 0V simple placed on top of the lines. As this is the fault I created on my original full schematic and ERC didn’t pick it up as an error.

Regards

Gaz

Hi again,

Also if you drag the 5V or 0V you will see they are not connected to the wires, as they do not drag the wires with the voltage symbol.

Thanks

Gaz

1 Like

Yes, I see what you are referring to now. You can’t connect a pin, such as a port port, to the middle of a wire. It must connect to a wire end. Edit: Or manually place a junction dot there.

There is no pin on either net that is a power input therefore there is no need for a power output on the net and DRC is satisfied with that. It doesn’t mind that you have orphaned power ports hanging around, which it should in my opinion.

Can this somehow be reported to the Kicad developers ?

As I think its a fault.

Regards

Gaz

I raised this as a Launchpad bug report 4 days ago.
Please note that Launchpad is for Windows and OSX reports, not just Linux

Hi David,

I have added a comment and a link to this page at the launchpad site.

Regards

Gaz