Eliminate project name for Fabrication output

Is there a way to eliminate the project names from every Fabrication output that is generated? We have a standard set of filenames we use when sending out for quotes, simple and descriptive. So after I generate the outputs I have to remove the project name from the filename to follow our standards.

The Fabrication Output gets the Project Name from the Name of the Project so, just do a ‘Save As’ with a new name - it will leave the Original as-is.

Screenshot of Gerber… showing the name (which, is ‘Untitled’ for this example)

That is not a bad idea and will use it the next time. It would be nice to have a check box under General Options in the Fab output box to remove project name from outputs.

Thank you

In the meantime there are various utilities for renaming files in a batch you can run before packaging the files to send to a fab. For example under Linux there is rename.

rename -v ProjectName Untitled ProjectName*.gbr

in the getber output directory should do the job.

But note that the project name is also in the Gerber metadata. A separate batch edit step could eliminate those too. So maybe you should use the Save As method.

1 Like

Not so fast…

If you Change the Name by ReNaming the files, only the File Names are changed - the Gerbers/etc retain the Original names.

Go ahead Export Gerbers. Then, Rename the file, then Open the Gerber in a Text-Editor and you’ll see the Original name intact.

You’re right, it does but I don’t think the board houses will have any issues with this. The engineer I worked with on this PCB gave his project a very descriptive 33 character name so the name of these files were rather long.

My mistake - I interpreted your statement as implying you needed Specific names such as to mask Product, Client…etc names…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.