Elektuur (& IEC/IEEE) Style Symbols, Octagonal Pads/Vias, Oktizer Plugin

To keep the topic open: Did you recognize the Elektuur shadow of the IC symbols ?
Right and bottom line of any rectangular IC box have slightly increased line width for old schematics.
To allow symbol rotation, this would require some code to modify the line width if not available for all
rotations in the library.

Yes, but they introduced it after they started to draw with computers (i.e. the more ā€œangularā€ designs) and Iā€™ve limited it to the traditional round pen drawings. Iā€™ve used used 2 (thinner, filled) lines for the boxes (for sharper outside corners) but the shadows, while looking very nice, seem to be too tedious (itā€™s probably easier to post-process a plotted PDF with Inkscape by adding drop-shadows) but I havenā€™t looked at the new schematic capabilities of KiCad 7 yetā€¦ Could maybe just add some shadows as own symbols for overlay, thoughā€¦

Can remember an article about introducing CAD @ Elektuur but cannot find it. Believe it was a DOS program called ULTIboard what came from a Netherland based company located in Naarden

For resolving your zonefill issue, I would suggest you make a minimal reproducible example that can be tested through scripting console. Much more chances that devs will be able to easily reproduce and fix the issue or tell you what you are doing wrong if you are.

Update for post #45 above for KiCad 7.0.0 (same as last item in PCM !183):
kicad-oktizer-0.7.0.zip (8.5 KB) or oktizer.py (24.1 KB)

Update for post #45 above for KiCad 7.0.1 (same as last item in PCM !185):
kicad-elektuur-symbols-0.7.0.zip (85.0 KB)

Note that libraries are automatically added in KiCad 7.0, with a PCM_ prefix, if so configured in Preferences ā†’ Preferencesā€¦ ā†’ Plugin and Content Manager).

This looks very nice:

2 Likes

Similar symbols for QSPICE (forum):

https://gitlab.com/mgyger/qspice-symbols

Elektor Circuit Special 2023 digital bonus edition (short extract with ads)

Interesting artwork theyā€™ve used (with teardrops):

I assume that 18 pin IC is a MCU. Can you tell me which one they used? This sounds like a circuit I could recreate (with any of a vast number of MCU models) to make tech gifts to frustrate my friends. Maybe even ternary display using bi-colour LEDs. :crazy_face:

Unfortunately I donā€™t have a subscription but it would be pretty easy to develop something that works on the same lines.

Well, it looks like youā€™re not accepting messages, soā€¦

Re: LC-LP-HA Thermometer

Not sure I understandā€¦ The KiCad project files and the PIC hex and source files should be freely downloadable (usually without registration); they only charge for the article in the magazine.

It looks like the author is some editor of the recently by Elektor acquired magazine Elettronica & Maker; possibly there could be more info (but I havenā€™t found anything).

Yes, but I probably want to design my version anyway. Whatā€™s the fun of making a replica of somebody elseā€™s design? The operation of the gadget is quite obvious. When the button is pressed, take a reading, display it, then go back to sleep, since itā€™s battery powered. Iā€™d probably run mine off a mobile phone adaptor, displaying continuously. Also the range is wasted. One hopes one will never experience a temperature of 63.5Ā°C. In practice indoor temperature will be in the range 15-3oĀ°C, or so one hopes. So maybe some way of restricting the range, but unfortunately the resolution is only 0.5Ā°C. Also maybe add the Bosch pressure sensor to the design.

Tube schematic from 1951 amateur radio book for comparison:

1 Like