Eeschema strange pointer behaviour

When moving pointer a lot of cross appears in the sheet along the pointer path as you can see in image.

Zooming cancel cross but they suddenly reappears as soon as you move pointer.

KiCad 4.0.5 in OpenMandriva Linux Lx3 64 bit.

Did you compile it yourself? This is a known issue with certain versions of certain dependencies (I don’t immediately recall which, something to do with GTK); I would expect a distro package to be compiled with the correct version, but it would be very easy to do this yourself.

1 Like

This is real time answer!!! Thanks.
No, I asked for compiling and it has been packed by OpenMandriva team.
I filed a bug but I asked here too, hoping in information about a package that could be the origin of bug.
May be interesting that in previous version of OpenMandriva I don’t had this problem.

Wasn’t this mouse trail a feature of some mouse drivers, for user with poor vision?

These are permanent artifacts that only go away when redrawing the canvas, not a proper “trail” that follows the cursor and disappears.

[quote=“davidsrsb, post:4, topic:4923”]
Wasn’t this mouse trail a feature of some mouse drivers
[/quote]I’d say no. This happens in several pc with different hardware and different mouses.[quote=“davidsrsb, post:4, topic:4923”]
for user with poor vision?
[/quote]Not clear what you mean, I don’t see any relation with poor vision. As you can see in image cross are quite big and easily seen. And they don’t disappears if zoom isn’t changed.

I meant this Windows accessibility feature
https://mcmw.abilitynet.org.uk/windows-7-and-8-adding-trails-to-your-mouse-pointer/

This is not a mouse trail! We get such a bug report every few month here on the forum. It seems to be a problem with some graphic cards. (It is known as ghosting)

Here the last thread where this question came up.
Tldr: it is a bug, it might already been known.
(It took us quite some time until we figured out what the original poster meant.)

To report a bug: (Developers don’t visit this forum often.)
read the how to: https://kicad.org/help/report-a-bug/
the bugtracker: https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad

You could try to use the nightly builds (or an older version of kicad 4 (4.0.4 or 4.0.3))
Maybe this problem does not exist in this versions.

1 Like

[quote=“Rene_Poschl, post:8, topic:4923”]
It seems to be a problem with some graphic cards.
[/quote]I have this problem with at least two different graphic cards.

You could try to use the nightly builds (or an older version of kicad 4 (4.0.4 or 4.0.3))
[/quote]Not so easy to me. I’m non able to pack or to compile a version and both version packaged for OpenMandriva Lx3 has the same bug. Then I don’t know how to try other versions.

(Developers don’t visit this forum often.)
[/quote]This isn’t a good starting point anyway I opened a bug

hoping that someone can help or KiCad is simply unusable.

A very different distribution to Debian and Ubuntu, which are the most common here. It uses the clang compiler, Wayland and KDE, all of which might be involved

[quote=“davidsrsb, post:11, topic:4923”]
It uses the clang compiler, Wayland and KDE, all of which might be involved
[/quote]Right. I don’t know if clang has been used first for this version. I know nothing about Wayland. But, at least for KDE I can say that in my old pc, with OpenMandriva 2014.2 and KDE 4.14, KiCad 4.0.1 works normally.
I’ll check Linux Mint 18 KDE version.

Recent KDE Plasma seems to be prone to cursor trail bugs

Installed KiCad 4.0.5 in Linux Mint 18 with KDE Plasma and it works normally.
Then probably Plasma isn’t the origin.

Surely the Mint version of Plasma will be a completely different build to OpenMandriva?
Add interaction with Wayland vs X and the two are very different

I am having the same situation for Linux mint 19. How can I fix ?

This has been fixed in v5.1. Upgrade.

1 Like

@lynux

Although there is a warning about Mint not being supported, Kicad 5.1.10 and 5.99 work beautifully on Mint… you even get warnings in the ’ Update Manager ’ when new stuff is available.

I use Mint 20.1 cinnamon and have both 5.1.10 and 5.99 installed.