Eeschema, same component name different lib = same result

hi!

I have my lib (named my_linear) and the ‘stock’ lib /usr/share/kicad/library/regul.lib, bothe of them contain a slightly different version of 7805 (BTW the ont in /usr/…/regul.lib is bad annotated, no package has VI, VO, GND as pin names), when I make the drawing I choose the 7805 from regul.lib, after realized this lib was not correctly annotated pins I make a new component under my_linear.lib and exchange it.
Then, with bit of back a forth after a while, the net file generated assumes the new pin names and connect the TO_SOT_Packages_SMD:TO-252-2Lead package with the component correctly and I can see it in PCBNew.
This work only while the session is open, once I close kicad an open it again the component becomes again the 7805 from regul.lib, and if I need to generate and read a new net file I will lost the pin relationships of this component.
Seems like if the component name is the only important part of the part name in the file regardless of the library name.
It’s this a bug?

It is a feature of the current library management. You have two choices

Disable loading regul.lib
Give your symbol its own name 7805_mypart

The second is better and safer

1 Like

Ok, thanks for clarify it, but why is this behavior better than consider them as independent objects if they come from different libraries?

The problem is that currently the library is not considered (A lot of code that would need to change, it would also destroy backward compatibility.).

This will most likely change in the new version of kicad. But we will need to wait for version 5 or even version 6 for this.

1 Like

See note at bottom of this (=more detail on what @Rene_Poschl already wrote) :