Eeschema renaming all device names by itself

Hallo,
I am experiencing strange KiCad behaviour in eeschema as follows:
I have created a new schematic in eeschema by loading and wiring different TTL symbols from the symbol library. When I load the symbols, all of them have their correct name and representation. I can draw the circuit as required. Everything functions as expected.

However, after a while I notice that although all symbols and circuitary drawn is still correct but somehow all symbol names have been changed to one and the same symbol name. In my case all symols are renamed “74LS32” (2-input OR gate).

I deleted the file and redrew the whole circuit but the same thing happened after a while. Circuit is ok (as drawn) but all symbol names are renamed to “74LS32”.

It happens quitely and without warning or error message so that I can’t say at which stage or which action actually triggers the mishap.

I have checked my PC for Viruses, it is clean. No viruses are detected.

I am working with KiCad for roughly two years now but I have never seen such a problem before.

What am I doing wrong?
Any advice or suggestion would be welcome.

I have attached here my eeschema file showing all symbols with same name. Also a Kicad version info file is attached.

Thanks for your help in advance
Best regards
KICad Version Info.pdf (69.4 KB) 200914 scratch_circuits.sch (23.7 KB)

To clarify the symbols have not been renamed only the value field has changed (and possibly also the datasheet field). Otherwise all symbols would also look the same.

The file kind of looks like some search and replace gone wrong. If this did indeed happen by normal use of KiCad then this is a massive bug (data corruption is a no go).

Did you run any scripts on your files? (A BOM script or something like KiField for example)
Did you do any modification of the files by use of a text editor?
Do you use some sort of version control system (git/svn)?
Did you use the field editor (the table view of all symbol fields of a schematic)?

Whatever happend however left resistors and caps alone. My guess is that only stuff from the 74xxx lib got changed.

Also when sharing your projects with others ensure that you at least also include the cache library. See:

1 Like

This is very likely the same as:

That but only affected multi-part symbols, which also explains why resistors and capacitors are unaffected.

A fix for that bug is already committed for the next iteration (KiCad V5.1.7).

I’m guessing here, but I seem to recall that the fault does not occur if the schematic is annotated.

2 Likes

Hallo Rene_Poschl and paulvdh
Thanks for your quick support. Let me respond to some of the points/comments you made as follows:

@Rene_Poschl

To clarify the symbols have not been renamed only the value field has changed (and possibly also the datasheet field). Otherwise all symbols would also look the same.

• Yes, you are right. The symbols didn’t change but only the value field did. Sorry for my imprecise description.

Did you run any scripts on your files? (A BOM script or something like KiField for example)

• No, I did not.

Did you do any modification of the files by use of a text editor?

• No, I did not.

Do you use some sort of version control system (git/svn)?

• No I did not.

Did you use the field editor (the table view of all symbol fields of a schematic)?

• Yes, I did. In order to make the symbol name fit into the body of the symbol, I used the field editor to change the value from 1,20, mm to 1.0mm.

Whatever happend however left resistors and caps alone. My guess is that only stuff from the 74xxx lib got changed.

• No although the resistor and capacitor were not affected but it was not only the 74xxx lib that got changed. Symols like “MC14520B” and “CD4518B” were also affected. Just for the sake of completness, if it is some clue for the experts, let me mention that these two symbols were created by meself.

@paulvdh
That but only affected multi-part symbols, which also explains why resistors and capacitors are unaffected.

• unfortunately, not only the multi-part symbols but also the single-part symbols were o affected. The symols "MC14520B2 and “CD4518B” are single-part symbols (self created) which were also affected.

A fix for that bug is already committed for the next iteration (KiCad V5.1.7).

• Do you know the targeted release date for KiCad V5.1.7.

I’m guessing here, but I seem to recall that the fault does not occur if the schematic is annotated.

• Yes, your guess seems to be absolutely correct!!!
    I annotated the schematic and then corrected the symbols names, and it worked.

Many thanks to Rene_poschl for hinting at a potential cause (change of field value) of the problem and to paulvdh for showing a possible workaround (annotation). It was great help.
Best regards

Last week :slight_smile: https://kicad.org/download/windows/

1 Like

Many thanks, eelik.
Best regards

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.