Eeschema: Default text options (is there a way to change that?)

Hi,
Start eeschema -> place some text: I don’t like the default settings (alignment):

Is there a way to change default text tool properties to be used between eeschema sessions? I mean, I would like to get text alignment set to “Right” on every fresh eeschema launch from now on.

I cannot find something like “Default object properties” in Tools -> Preferences -> Eeschema…

Application: Eeschema

Version: (5.99.0-9175-g5d2dc0b50e), release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.1.4
	libcurl/7.74.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.11

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19042), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
	Date: Feb 17 2021 12:12:54
	wxWidgets: 3.1.4 (wchar_t,STL containers)
	Boost: 1.75.0
	OCC: 7.5.0
	Curl: 7.74.0-DEV
	ngspice: 34
	Compiler: Visual C++ 1928 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
	KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
	KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
	KICAD_SPICE=ON
2 Likes

This is also applies to net labels.

So, there is no such possibility, right? Can some one confirm this? I am just asking here before rising a wishlist item in issue tracker…

I don’t know of such a feature. If you make a wishlist item I’ll give it a thumbs up.

I would happily settle for default “right” orientation [i.e. left justification]…

Issue tracker, please upvote: https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/7597

I also want to add a reminder to a long time mixup of left and right in KiCad.

In the text box above, “Left” results in right-aligned text, whil “Right” results in Left aligned text ???

The same with the orientation of pins while designing schematic symbols. If you want to put a pin on the right side of a schematic symbol, you have to select “Left”. Same with “up” and “down”. When you select “down”, the pin is drawn on the top of the schematic symbol.

2 Likes

This also has an issue listed, please upvote: https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/6489

Didn’t spot issues about pins, maybe you could report to gitlab?

Related issue to text properties: https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/6586

That’s because it’s the direction the text or pin points to.

I get it that people aren’t used to text pointing left, since you usually talk about justification for text and many seem to completely miss that what’s being specified is orientation and not justification. Text also always flows in the same direction which can be confusing when talking about orientation. I think that the change of wording to justification is benefitial here.

On the other hand, pin orientation is logical, because the pin does actually point left. Try grabbing it and see where it points (relative to cursor). Changing that would require to grab the pin at the opposite end (not where the wire connects) and thus probably changing the anchor.

I’d be interested what people think about the direction arrows in 3D viewer. Do they think it’s wrong, or do they realize that it’s board and not viewport movement …

Sounds like right is wrong and left is right. Simple enough! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello!

On the other hand, pin orientation is logical, because the pin does actually point left.

Yes, in some logic, it’s logical. But then what do you call “pin points left”? Do you mean that the pin, seen from the component, points to an external connection, a wire which is on the left (i.e. the pin’s “active” point points to the left), or do you mean that the pin, seen from its little connection circle, points to the component it belongs to, which is on the left, in which case it would be the opposite?

It points left relative to its anchor. And that is located where the wire is connected. I think that would become clear if you try to move a pin in the symbol editor (as suggested).

It’s an arbitrary “A is left of B” or “B is right of A”.
Now you have to figure out what is “A” and “B”.

Using existing conventions make it more clear and make KiCad easier to use.
Calling right justified text “left” is just confusing.

Similar for putting pins on symbols. For me the symbol is the “main thing”, and selecting “right” when I want a pin on the left side is a continuing waste of time (and small nuisance). I’ve mostly stopped looking at those settings altogether, and just enter the pin info, put it on the monitor and then rotate it with R until it’s on the side I want it to be.

3 Likes

That’s why I try to understand what I’m setting. Knowing that it’s orientation and not justification has saved me those 3 strokes of R.

At least there are plans to change the wording for justification.

Hello!

Similar for putting pins on symbols.

The best would be a small icon in the dialog like in some dialogs. Making it more general wouldn’t hurt. But I would still prefer a checkbox rather than a drop down menu, it’s quicker.

Screenshot from 2021-02-28 11-58-44

I’ve mostly stopped looking at those settings altogether, and just enter the pin info, put it on the monitor and then rotate it with R until it’s on the side I want it to be.

Same here. Most of the time I copy one which is already in the right direction and press E to edit its text. I use this method for mostly every items with an orientation, pins, labels, etc…

By the way, I would appreciate a centered text (centered around the mouse cursor). Is there a way to do that?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.