Eeschema cannot be started as separate instance on MacBook Pro M1 MAX [solved - sort of]

Hi All,

Something weird is happened with KiCAD Application: KiCad V5.1.12-1-10_14 running under macOS Monterey V12.1 on M1 MAX processor.
After installing KiCAD everything looks fine, the program start is stable and usable and all modules (schematic, pcb, etc.) can be started from main KiCAD interface.

However, I have the need to cope and paste from schematic sheet to sheet and for that, I use to start eeschema only and use-it to copy and paste between the sheets (It works well on Intel MACs). If the main program is close, when I start eeschema I receive this message: " The application “eeschema” can’t be opened.".

Can you please recommend a workaround in order to start eeschema as independent application?

Thanks and Most Appreciate your feedback,
Best Regards,
Andrei

I have to add that I succeed to open eeschema directly from eeschema package content
/Applications/KiCad/kicad.app/Contents/Applications/eeschema.app/Contents/MacOS (to open a schematic was necessary to grand access to the terminal to the schematic folder).

I’m not skilled on MAC coding so what I assume is something related to the application rights?
… maybe someone can clarify …

There have been troubles with installation on that fruit brand of computers for quite some time, and often related to that operating system restricting access to programs or directories.

For example, here is another one, just from today:

Apparently your operating system is trying to prevent you from running your own programs out of fear they have no control over it (or some lame virus excuse), and the way it works seems to change constantly, which requires programmers to waste their time to update packaging and the rights management of their programs.

This is a recurring problem, and the KiCad project could really need some help from an expert on the DRM stuff on the fruit brand of computers, but I even refuse to touch that brand.

@AB007: Yes, there is a workaround, I finally found:

1. Open the project you want to copy from.
  2. Open the schematics or PCB from the main KICAD window.
  3. In eeschema or pcbnew select the items you want to copy.
  4. Type Command + C to copy them.
  5. Set a base point somewhere.
  6. Now go to the main KICAD window. DON’T close this window because otherwise the copied stuff gets lost.
  7. Open the project you want to copy to (via File, Open Project; File, Open Recent or by double clicking the project file.
  8. Open the schematics or PCB from the main KICAD window.
  9. Paste the stuff from the clipboard with Command + V.

That’s it. Hope, this helps.

@paulvdh: I’ll have a look at the problem and let you know how to solve it. I’m sure, it has something to do with the fact that the sub-apps are inside the main application. I asked this question, because I thought, someone might have an easy solution.

One could run 2 or more instances of KiCAD with this terminal command:

open -n -a /Applications/KiCad/kicad.app

But be careful! I don’t know what happens if you make changes in both layouts. Maybe someone could try and report here.

@ SchroedersKater
For MacBook Pro M1 MAX + Monterey, the only way is to open the schematic from inside the package: /Applications/KiCad/kicad.app/Contents/Applications/eeschema.app/Contents/MacOS/eeschema

From Terminal perspective look like this:

andreibucsa@Andreis-MacBook-Pro ~ % /Applications/KiCad/kicad.app/Contents/Applications/eeschema.app/Contents/MacOS/eeschema ; exit;

At least it is a work around to copy and paste between sheets (I’m pretty sure there is a problem of file rights) maybe the developers can do something about it…

yes it’s a permission problem. Look what’s happened when trying to run the eeschema.app from terminal:

Last login: Mon Jan 3 14:27:20 on ttys000
andreibucsa@Andreis-MacBook-Pro ~ % /Applications/KiCad/kicad.app/Contents/Applications/eeschema.app ; exit;
zsh: permission denied: /Applications/KiCad/kicad.app/Contents/Applications/eeschema.app

Saving session…
…copying shared history…
…saving history…truncating history files…
…completed.

[Process completed]

Try putting the command ‘sudo’ before the file path, that will run it as a super user.

The other option is to right click open eschema then when it warns you it’s not safe say continue anyway.

Here is another thread about the same (or similar?) problem with another suggestion.

yes, this solve the issue - run in terminal: SUDO xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/KiCad/kicad.app/Contents/Applications/eeschema.app

now the application can be opened as stand-alone.

this is for others that looks for a work around…

Thanks for your support,
Best Regards,
Andrei

Is it possible to do the same using the Security preferences pane? I haven’t run into this problem yet (still running Catalina on a MBP where KiCad 6 works fine in stand alone mode) but some other applications are refused by the gatekeeper but can be permitted to run via the security preference pane alone without resorting to the terminal.

I tried in the section developer tools, but that didn’t help.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.