Editing older posts

Hmmm… @Joan_Sparky @ChrisGammell
I don’t have access to permissions obviously and I’ve never worked with the back end of Discourse so I don’t know what’s possible. We could move this to the FAQ thread which turns it into a WIKI page but I don’t know if the mmccoo will have the needed rights to make updates.

I think once a post is linked from another topic, it can not be edited any more.

@hermit @Rene_Poschl Editing earlier posts is not the end of the world. This thread is mostly useful posts. Not too much to trudge through. (assuming the reader is interested in the topic of python scripting in pcbnew)

If there is a wiki capability, I’d be happy to use it.

I do wish there were forum software out there that enabled voting for things like trolling, me too’s, thank yous, administrative stuff (like this)… Then a reader could ask to only see posts not marked as such. Not so much a problem in this thread, but there are some threads out there that would be useful is not for the other stuff.

The software used is very tuned to getting people to participate. In one respect that is good. In another if penalizes people on low traffic boards, especially low traffic boards like this one where content is more focused. That’s why “@” 'd the mods to see if something could be done to get you (or others) permissions in the FAQ thread that isn’t based on posting frequency. Someone said even the number of likes gets factored into the ‘promotion’ scheme of this software.

The number of likes is factored in. (If you don’t receive or give enough of them you will loose your regular status.) But it also requires regular visits and participation on multiple topics.

Maybe we could give the developers group write access to the FAQ. But this is something @ChrisGammell would need to decide.

It was set to 60 days. I set it to a longer timeframe. But really if a post is getting that old, it can be transmogrified into a wiki, which any mod should be able to do a on a per-post basis. Or we can move to the FAQ section. We haven’t really determined which is the best method for determining that yet, but happy to take suggestions.

I do wish there were forum software out there that enabled voting for things like trolling, me too’s, thank yous, administrative stuff (like this)… Then a reader could ask to only see posts not marked as such. Not so much a problem in this thread, but there are some threads out there that would be useful is not for the other stuff.

If there’s nominations for this kind of thing, I’d suggest doing with @hermit said and tagging the mod team for such a thing. We can take action from there.

1 Like

Yes, something like this should be moved to the FAQ area and become a WIKI page. That still doesn’t solve the editing problem. In this case the OP hasn’t reached ‘regular’ status. That is the problem. We have good contributions from people that don’t spend enough time on the forum to make that happen. The forum software I’ve dealt with in the past had ways of setting up groups and permissions. We need a FAQ group we can add these posters to so they can maintain their articles.

1 Like

I can always up someone’s permission level if they submit a particularly poignant response. I think it will be the exception, not the rule.

so…

I understand there is a possibility of some posts turning into a wiki. I believe the first FAQ post is such a beast.

I would like to maintain the first post of my python scripting thread but I can’t because it’s older than 60 days.

I can’t change the first post of my thread to a wiki because I don’t have enough status. Although I managed to become a “member” that’s not enough for me to make my post a wiki. I have no intention on fulfilling the requirements of “regular” (nor do I have interest in the things it would allow me to do. Except a one time wiki’ification. Perhaps the follow links thing, but I don’t get what that actually means)

Looking further at the trust levels, I don’t see anything that enables anyone to wiki’ify someone else’s post.

So… couple options:

• Perhaps Chris is allowed to wiki’ify the first post of my thread
  • One of the regulars creates a new thread, wiki’ifies it and then I take over
  • Things continue as they are and the thread just grows.

Also, what happens if I’m inactive for a month? no more posts to that thread? I can imagine adding a post for each new thing I want to share while maintaining the first post as a table of contents. but I do this stuff in spurts.

all this assumes that folks find my pcbnew python contributions to be helpful.

Miles
related thoughts:

• seems like it’d be helpful for regulars to be allowed to split messages to a new topic.
  • seems like it’d be helpful to have a whole series of “wikis”. threads have some limitations.

@ChrisGammell

See above. It just isn’t the nature of this forum that all people contributing will reach needed levels.

This is a best case scenario, I’m afraid. My opinion is opening this up sitewide would lead to abuse. At least for the first point, if you start a new thread and link to the original permalink (for instance, your post has this permalink), it will create a small link below that post to the new thread.

This all said, I thought @hermit would be able to make your post a wiki. That might be a higher permssion level than I thought. I just attempted to wiki that top thread, could you let me know if that worked?

Sorry for the runaround, but this software was designed to minimize spammers, not maximize contributors. Given the alternative, I’m hesitant to change too much. But know that we all appreciate your efforts and I’m happy to elevate levels if needed as well.

1 Like

I am now able to edit the first post.

thank you.

On spammers, the novel Daemon has a good solution. :slight_smile:

Miles

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.