Editing old schematic on new laptop

I had to switch my schematic editing to a new laptop. It is difficult because it seems like the old schematic is on a different grid from what kidcad on the new machine is using. Is there an easy fix? I almost need to start over because I can’t draw wires to existing components in my old schematic.

Kicad pretty much always defaults to the same grid if you haven’t changed it.

What Kicad version and OS is the old schematic on? EDIT: What is the grid setting
What Kicad version and OS is the new schematic on? EDIT: What is the grid setting

Then just change the grid to lower value. Instructions: Getting Started in KiCad | 6.0 | English | Documentation | KiCad

So what is your grid on your laptop?

KiCad works best if you set the grid in the schematic to “50”, or a multiple of that.

In KiCad V6 you can fix an off-grid schematic by first selecting everything with [Ctrl +A], then click the right mouse button and select Align Elements to Grid from the popup menu.

Thanks for responding. Old Kicad version is (5.1.5)-3 on Windows 7
New Kicad version is(5.1.12)-1 on Windows 10.

I found out how to change the grid size. I made the grid smaller on kicad operating on the new machine and I think I can work out the many problems now (some of the components changed between versions apparently, requiring lots of wiring changes). Grid size only became an issue when I changed machines. Thanks again.

Thank you. That is the answer apparently. I never bothered with the grid size before but when I moved to the new machine it became important.

Thank you for responding. I did that and it worked. I was oblivious to the grid size before and never changed it. Using a new machine made it important.

1 Like

I’m quite certain you changed the grid size.
KiCad always ships with a grid size of “50” for the schematic editor, so very likely you once changed to a smaller value and then forgot about it.

Is the Align Elements to Grid also available in KiCad V5?

Still, shouldn’t the setting have carried over with the schematic?

Just to clarify my previous reply to your response, yes I must have changed the grid from 50 on the old machine. I reduced it on the new machine and was able to draw wires to component terminals again. Thanks for your help.

Grid setting is a global property.
Just set the grid to something ridiculous (such as 2mil) and then change project, and it’s still 2mil.

Same for the grid in the PCB editor.
I have not checked the symbol and footprint editors.

This could be considered a bug…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.