Editing a Symbol

Hello,

I tried now a lot of times to edit a existing symbol. Example: I have old Potentiometers. I try now to create a new symbol (because the pot is old i wanna use a diffrent symbol so i can set the footprint filter only to this symbol). I open the pot symbol on a existing library -> Devices -> Pot. I set now the footprint filter and save it in a new library with another name (pot_old). I import the new library in eeschema (when i create a completly new symbol it works fine), but when i now right click on the pot symbol in eeschema -> edit in component editor … it uses every time the symbol from the importet library. I know you can sort the symbols (set it on top in the symbol manager) i don’t wann do that, its annoying and i have a NEW smybol created with a diffrent name so it should work.

What do i wrong ?
How can i edit a existing symbol and use it in eeschema ?

Regards,
Koe
(Kicad 4.07)

In kicad 4 symbol names either need to be unique over all available libs or you need to take care of the library priority.
Have a look at this old post: Any conflict with names of modules and libraries?

Thanks alot,

I need to create a unique symbol name. That is my fault.

Regards,
Koe

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.