Edge cuts not visible in 3D

Using 5.1.9 I drew a slot just 0.2 mm wide with radiused ends and it displays, although you have to angle the view right to see through the slot.

Is your slot exactly closed?

Nope does not seem to be working for me. I’ve had this several other projects as well.

This seems to be a problem on one of two pcbs in the project. Its works on the left not on the right

Can you share a pcb where this happens, a trivial example one if possible?

And also give your OS, all we know is 5.1.9

Would only the pcbnew file be enough ? OS is Win10Pro_64bit

Application: Pcbnew
Version: (5.1.9-16-g1737927814)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.5
libcurl/7.71.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1g (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.3.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh2/1.9.0 nghttp2/1.41.0
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.73.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.71.0
Compiler: GCC 10.2.0 with C++ ABI 1014

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Do you get any error dialog when starting 3d view?

Nope nothing at all, which is surprising.
Test.kicad_pcb (1.5 MB)

Actually, it’s the same problem that I met
Footprints with PCB Cutouts

Three holes in the right hand board “weld pedal” and by J7 were not visible.

So I deleted the left hand board and the small board. Now they show.
Is this three PCBs on a panel?

The small pcb stacks up on the right PCB and the Right PCB stacks on top of the Left PCB using the header pins on the left pcb.

Not necessity on a single panel yet to get in touch with a fab house if this would be possible. At the moment yea all on a single panel if possible.

Your are right ! deleting the left pcb works but why not with it ? a bug ?

KiCad has a one project one board concept. Putting multiple edge cut outlines in the same project has triggered some unexpected behaviour, I don’t like to call it a bug as such.

Can someone try the sample deign in 5.99 to see what happens?
You can always raise a bug report anyway. This might be related to some other internal edge cuts issues

Kicad 5.99 same effect.
I’d report this as a potential issue, since we don’t know what’s the relation between multiple PCB and not rendering some featuers. This might just expose some underlaying bug.

How do I report this as a bug ?

Here is a related issue which shows that it can be handled as a bug but isn’t a high priority: https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/2126. (EDIT: not a high priority if it’s caused by several separate outlines.)

That is related, but not the same as it was a failure of ray tracing when OpenGL worked.
This one is definitely worth a report as it may be something broken underneath

It’s technically very different, it’s just a precedent for the possible classification as a bug, i.e. if several outlines are supported in KiCad or not.

reported it here

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.