Eagle to KiCad Library Converter

Hi all,

We released a free Eagle to KiCad library converter on SnapEDA. There’s a video on that page that shows how it works.

I wanted to share in case it’s helpful for someone since I know many have been considering moving from Eagle to KiCad recently. Open to any tips you might have on how to continue maturing the tool too!

Thanks,
Natasha

9 Likes

That’s awesome! As someone who is looking to make the move from Eagle to KiCad, having the ability to convert my custom libraries and not have to redo them all is a big help!

But can it take an existing Eagle CAD lib that lives on your drive, and convert it to KiCAD?

The footprint side of libraries was possible to convert with kicad 4 natively. Now with kicad 5 you should be able to convert even the symbol side. (One can convert a full project from eagle to kicad.)
There will of course be some bugs hidden in that feature as it is relatively new. So always check the outcome closely and report any problems you find over at the bugtracker.

One restriction is that the old binary file format of eagle (So i think it must be eagle 6 or newer. Eagle 5 might work but i am not sure about that)
Official announcement: https://kicad.org/blog/2017/10/Testing-Eagle-import-plugins/

Thanks Rene for the reply! I do agree that v5 does a wonderful job of import my current Eagle projects and I have been well pleased with the results. What I’m not working through (and admittedly, not knowing what I’m doing) is taking the original libs I created under Eagle and get them into KiCAD without the individual libs that are created just for the imported project.

Just not sure how to take the individuals from the imports and set them into one lib like it was in Eagle. If there is a doc/vid, I would gladly invest the time if someone would be so kind to point me in that direction.

Cheers
Chris