Duplicating .kicad_pcb files?

We are trying to put 4 variations of a recently completed layout in a single panelized layout for fabbing… The application is an RF device and we want to quickly evaluate four different shielding schemes. The Copy Block command won’t allow making multiple copies of the baseline design that we can configure with the target shielding variations. Is there a solution other than replicating the layout 4 times from the same schematic?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

blues

What needs to change between the ‘copies’ and out of what elements are those variations made (footprints, filled zones, etc…)?

Copy block works fine for me IMHO, just the ratsnest becomes bonkers:

Another example of a 100x100 sqmm panel I hope to send off to be fabbed pretty soon.
Observe the 4 vertical strips left and right, 3x copies…

2 Likes

Nice panelization…could you explain how you doing it in kicad?

It’s pretty easy.
One caveat though, the schematic must contain all the schematics you want as layout in the panel and you have to create them all there in that pcb - there is no make-a-panel-from-a-couple-of-projects in KiCAD (yet).

Anyhow…
I do this for 100x100mm boards that are widely available when I need a couple of designs that can go together and just linger around.
I put this into the layout and lock it:

z_Nutzen_100x100.kicad_mod (2.7 KB)

Then I change the grid to something like 0.5 or 1.0 mm and start drawing the outlines of the boards.
For 1.6 mm or thinner pcbs I use 1.0 mm wide milling spaces, for 2.0 mm I use 1.5 mm gaps.
The only place you need to draw arcs is when the outline of your pcb needs a round corner.

As the grid is ‘rough’ it’s very easy to have edge.cuts start/end in the same spot to create a closed outline.

For mousebites I use these, depending on width of the connection (3mm wide with 05x3 holes every 40-50 mm is pretty strong):

z_Drill_05x3.kicad_mod (1.1 KB)

This will be the result:

You can experiement with the position of the mousebites in regards to the edge of the sub-boards.
If you would put them further inward you’d have no protruding break-offs afterwards, but loose some real-estate on the board.
If you put them further outward you have break-off after separation that might need some filing if you want a smooth edge, but you gain some real-estate.

Doing it like this would leave you with no extra work, just breaking them apart:

PS: and yes, I have redrawn the outline for the 3D screenshot with arcs to show how this would play out in reality :wink:

2 Likes