Duplicated silckscreen (KICAD 5)

Hi,
I may done a mistake somewhere:
I appear on my layout that I’ve a duplicated silkscreen.
How to remove it and how did I do?
At a moment I edit all silkscreen to reduce size of text. This is
the only thing I did.

Any help will be appreciated.

Version:
Application: kicad
Version: (5.1.0)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.61.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1 (WinSSL) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.6 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) nghttp2/1.34.0
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.68.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.61.1
Compiler: GCC 8.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Sincerely

Are the duplicates selectable? (Meaning are they real or are they possibly some graphical artefact. Asking mainly because it only seems to affect text and the text has a different font between duplicates and originals)

Hi,
they are real, I can edit them.

You seem to use the resistor of the official library here. It normally has one reference on the silk layer and another on the fab layer.

Assuming your pcb includes a fab layer:
You can use the the update footprints feature to fix this. (tools -> update footprints) Select “all footpritns” and “reset text layers and visibilities”.

If you do not have a fab layer on purpose then you will need to manually hide the second reference. for the future it might be best to then setup your own libraries without the fab layer.

Edit: I played around a bit: KiCad does not move stuff from the fab to the silk layer if the fab layer is not present so this might not be the cause of your problem. -> so the reset layers and visibilities route should do the trick then. (Even if the layer is missing)

Edit2: You might consider updating to 5.1.4 (5.1.0 had quite a few bugs that have been fixed since then. Not that 5.1.4 is without bugs. No software is.)

Hi, I did what you recommend and it works, the second “fab” reference vanished!
thanks for your help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.