Dual Monitor issue (Win10) when maximizing PCB and Schematic

Hi all,

If I have the main app open on the left monitor, the PCB maximized on the left montor and the schematic maximized on the right monitor then if I minimize the PCB and schematic then maximize them again they both maximize to the left monitor.
The schematic forgets it was on the right monitor.

Altium CircuitStudio doesn’t do this so suspect a KiCad issue rather than a Win10 one.

Appreciate it’s a small problem, but nice to see it fixed.

Ian.

doesn’t happen on my Win10 machine , if I minimise each the maximise them again they reappear in the original positions on both monitors

This is V6 release

Thats interesting, could be video card specific, or monitor 1 & 2 order dependant.
Will play to see if i can work it out a bit more.

Ian.

It could be a setting of your operating system.
I have a vague memory that I could specify what the OS does to a program when it is maximized.

I have not used a microsoft pc for years though and I can’t even remember if that was on windoze or Linux.

So doing some testing, it depends on the order in which you open/maximize/minimize that will determine whether it works or not. So, sometimes it’s ok, sometimes not.

Here’s how I get it to fail repeatably.

With main app on left monitor.
Open PCB (maximized on left monitor)
Minimize PCB
Open Schematic (maximized on left monitor)
Drag Schematic to right monitor (maximized)
Maximize PCB
Minimize PCB
Minimize Schematic
Maximize Schematic
Maximize PCB
…both are now maximized on the left monitor

I would expect wherever you maximize it should be locked to that monitor and not jump.

Ian.

that combination does not fail on my setup

i have not discovered any combination where restoring the window causes it not to reappear on the monitor where it was minimised

I use dual monitor setup daily, no such problems seen. I am using always up to date win 10, intel hd graphics integrated gpu, windows aerosnap disabled.

Same here. 6.0; Win10 with 2 monitors.

In windows is there not something about dual monitors you can either have two separate desktops or one desktop spread over two monitors??

Would that make a difference?

My desktop is simply the standard dual monitor setup.
As a reminder, Altium CircuitStudio with its dual monitor setup always responds as it should and always remembers its position.

It’s possible there is something else on my installation that is somehow influencing and generating the intermittent nature as I see it, or something in KiCad.

I am using an Nvidia GTX1050 gpu. Maybe the driver, video modes and KiCad combo have an issue.

More experiments required, i’ll try my laptop with external monitor.

Ian.

I used to have a dual monitor setup too, with two (second hand) HP-LP2465 monitors and they served me well for many years. Recently I noticed that I wanted some extra space to make some simple notes and for a calculator (python in REPL mode), and I added a 20 year old 14" monitor with only 1024x768 pixels.
It’s a quite small monitor but it was surprisingly handy to have it as a third monitor.

Now I’m looking at my AORUS FV43U and although those other monitors are still standing nearby, they’re not even connected. Maybe I’ll connect them again one day when I’m working on a project that needs lots of programs, but at the moment I’m quite content with just a single monitor.

I’m not an AMD fan, but I bluntly refuse to buy intel because of the horrible things they’ve done in the past such as forcing PC sellers to only sell intel and crippling their C compiler if it did not find the string “genuie intel” in the processor identification. Decent graphics cards are impossible to get at a decent price these days, and this left me with very few options for my new pc. The AMD 5600G processor was about the only viable option for me, and I’m quite happy with this combination.

Hi all,

I made a wee annotated video of the issue.

Ignore the wierd text flashing on-screen, thats the screen capture software.

Ian.

https://youtu.be/Q5fX5lq2R7g

Win10
Nvidia GTX1050i
MB on-board video disabled.
Dual 24" monitors, 2560x1440 each. Both are Dell P2418D
60Hz refresh rate, 8-bit, RGB, SDR.
Scaling setup etc all standard.
Multiple Displays in Win10 as “Extend these Displays” option.
Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling set to OFF (not sure why)

Not seeing this behavior on Windoze 10 or Apple. And I like having a lot of monitors.

6 of those monitors were on a Mac Pro. Then there’s the surveillance video. The iPad and phone are just performance art. The vertical 32" could show about 80 lines of code at once, it was great for software. The two “up in the air” were for text boxes that functioned like post-it notes/calendar/documents/datasheets. The were just more “desk space”.
Around 2012 Apple did an update, and vertical/portrait monitors didn’t work anymore. And by 2014, the Mac Pro I had could not update. So now I’m stuck on a iMac with just 3 monitors, but I’m moving more of my work away from Apple and back to MicroSquash. Apple seems to have forgotten all about developers…
6 big monitors on a machine was extremely productive. I think windoze can handle 6, so sometime this year I’ll kick the old 2009 Mac Pro to the curb and get this set-up gong again. Microsquash can support vertical/portrait monitors now.
Except for web systems, KiCAd, Fusion360, TI Code Composer and QGIS all run very nicely on a PC. Seems like when it comes to design software, PCs are the 1st port, then Apple and Linux. Given how cheap monitors are, and a good graphics card supports at least 3, that seems like the right number to have to be productive.

At any rate, for the OP my windoze 10 with KiCad restores schematic and PCB to the monitor they were on before they were minimized. I don’t recall any setting I changed to make this happen. Thanks for the video, that helps to see what your dealing with.

Mmmm I can reproduce it but I’m not sure it’s a kicad bug.

@IanJ can you please log it on the issue tracker and ping me @mroszko on it so it can float on my todo list

Ok will do later today.

In meantime I found this:-

Ian.

Yes, I can reproduce this in Win 10. Any maximized window (Schematic, PCB, Footprint editor + Gerber viewer tested) on the secondary monitor jumps back to the primary monitor if closed when it is maximized. It happens in both 6.01 and 6.99. This has not been a problem for me as I normally do not keep them maximized.

Perhaps slightly related to closed issue Regression in PCBNew/Footprint editor: Last used monitor not correctly detected on dual monitor setup (#4053) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab although that was different?

My monitor setup is an FHD primary laptop screen, and a QHD secondary monitor with extended desktop. The position of the secondary monitor is adjusted not to align the top of the two screens, but so that mouse moves horizontally from one to the other low on the FHD screen.

(Interestingly, FreeCad 0.19 and possibly earlier versions has long had the the opposite issue: I have to keep it maximized, otherwise it moves partly over to the primary screen when re-opened.)

Application: KiCad (64-bit)

Version: (6.99.0-462-gb605d6d9ae), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.5
libcurl/7.78.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.11

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19042), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Jan 15 2022 21:08:15
wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.76.0
OCC: 7.5.0
Curl: 7.78.0-DEV
ngspice: 35
Compiler: Visual C++ 1929 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor (64-bit)

Version: (6.0.1), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.5
libcurl/7.78.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.11

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19042), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Jan 15 2022 13:36:27
wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.76.0
OCC: 7.5.0
Curl: 7.78.0-DEV
ngspice: 35
Compiler: Visual C++ 1929 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

@mroszko I’ve no idea how you ping somebody in GitLab…newbie!

Same way you do here. You just type in @username in normal text like @IanJ

My username here is different than on gitlab though

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.