Drill map question

I have my layout all done and am creating the various fabrication and assembly files.

If I select File > Plot, and then click Generate Drill Files…, I am take to the the Generate Drill Files dialog.

If I set Map File Format to PDF and click Generate Map File and then open up the PDF, all I see is a table of all the different drill sizes used by my layout and the various representative symbols for each drill size.

However, if I set Map File Format to Gerber and click Generate Map File and then open up the Gerber in Gerbview for example, I get this same table with all the different drill sizes used by my layout with the various representative symbols for each drill size in the upper left corner and I also get the outline of my PCB with all the drill size symbols placed at all the correct drill locations.

I am wondering if this is a bug, or by design, or am I missing something? I would have expected that the PDF version would look the same as the Gerber version, just in a different file format.

I’m using KiCAD (5.1.6)-1.

Thanks!

Map file is meant to be informal and human readable, it’s not a work file for CAM. It doesn’t matter much if it’s different.

I just outputted the table to pdf and it appears like the GERBER

Odd, this is what I get:

Gerber on the left, PDF on the right:

It’s not a real biggie because of course I can print the Gerber version to PDF, it was just an unexpected result.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the KiCAD dialog doesn’t give you a way to set the PDF page size? In my case, the PCB data is located a good distance to the right from where it wants to put the drill chart. I used an A2 page size and the upper right corner of the drill chart is at 0, 0 and the lower left corner of my PCB is at around 400mm, 300mm.

Thanks for your reply.

I also made a drill map file in pdf format and it looks just fine:
Similar to Naib’s screenshot, with a table of drill sizes under the PCB.

The current stable KiCad is version V5.1.8 and there have been quite some bug fixes since V5.1.6. Maybe this is one of them.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.