Drill files empty

I made two holes in my PCB using the circle tool in the Edgecuts layer and generated the drill files. However the drill files turned out to be empty. I suppose there is something I am doing wrong to make drills, but can’t figure out what.
Would anyone appear to know how to create drills?
Thanks a lot!

Edgecuts layer will be routed out during a milling operation – not a drill step. PCB houses have a max size on drills also. You can place a NPTH (non-plated-thru-hole) and it shows up on a drill list (a different list from PTH plated-thru-hole list).

You can use the pcb 3d view to see how the edge cut and holes are all looking.

Holes are placed in schematic, which seems odd at first, though if you want to connect a PTH to ground you need it on the schematic. I have an “Other” page in my schematic where I put holes and other oddball stuff. The, in pcb, you update-from-schematic and the holes will appear. Generally they are mounting holes, so you put them in the right locations, and it is nice to lock them also so they don’t get moved inadvertently.

1 Like

As @teletypeguy indicated: Holes made by placing a Circle on Edge-Cuts does Not yield Gerber holes. Holes on Edge-Cuts are Machined usually by Milling or Drilling command in the Software used to generate Gcode.

What you want are the Parts in the Library called “Mounting Hole”

EDIT: And, you can make your own from a THT or simply Save one in the Library (save to your personal lib location). And, you can Edit/Tweak them…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.