DRC check for "silkscreen inside courtyard"?

Is there a way to do this? Background is, that if there is silkscreen underneath components it might lead to issues during manufacturing (for example: Legend Print Clipping for Assembly - Eurocircuits) and so I was wondering how I could check this upfront.

Wouldn’t make much sense in my opinion, as the courtyard usually extends beyond the components physical borders, to an area where you normally would place the components silkscreen itself (Reference designator, pin 1 indicator, soldering helps etc.).

More sense would make a check against the Fab-Layer, as this is meant to be the physical dimensions of the package. However this is not implemented (yet), if you want it, you can create a feature request issue on KiCads Gitlab.

1 Like

The problem wit fab layer would be that it can have anything in it. Courtyard is expected to have only one continuous outline for each footprint and nothing else. It would be impossible to do “inside detection” for fab layer.

And pads usually stick out beyond that and they also ‘don’t like’ silkscreen.

My solution is that I use only my own footprints. Carefully checked once are valid forever :slight_smile:

pads have their own silkscreen detection test in DRC, so there you don’t need it.

This doesn’t help with OPs problem, because the silkscreen of one component can interfere anytime with another, independent on how clever it is set in the footprint.

“will have all legend clipped within a +2.00mm radius of each pad”
That would strip most silkscreen from some of my boards.