Double the number of items in BOM

Hi,

I’ve made a schematic symbol and matching footprint for this battery mount: https://www.mouser.se/ProductDetail/Keystone-Electronics/92?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt13fpse6CWDYVh9FApKpUCF%2FjeT9O8KIw=

For each battery two of the mounts are needed. My footprint has holes for both of them and its a single symbol in the schematic with +/- connections. So far so good.

My problem is that if I place one symbol in schema, the resulting number of items in the BOM is only one, when it actually needs two for each symbol/footprint.

How do I make the resulting number in the BOM two instead of one? I really want to keep the footprint such that it contains mounting holes for both mounts since it makes it much easier to place them as a single footprint.

a. Make your part only have silk for the second mount to help alignment, and a second part that’s just the mount.

b. put everything in one part and make a second placeholder part that’s just a bit of silk.

c. just adjust the BOM manually.

There’s not going to be a pretty answer, you’re trying to bang a square peg in a round hole.

1 Like

Ok, thank you.

(filler text to meet minimum text length)

How about using a house part number that simply represents a pair of parts instead of singles?

If you use the KiCost python script to generate the BOM spreadsheet, we workarounded this issue, you can use (connector CON1):
manf# = CODEPART1 ; CODEPART2 : 5; CODEPART3

This will list the part as:
CON1#1 — CODEPART1 ----- QTY=1
CON1#2 — CODEPART2 ----- QTY=5
CON1#3 — CODEPART3 ----- QTY=3

It is also possible to use parcial unities (normally for cables) as “0.5” or “1/2”.

1 Like

How about using a house part number that simply represents a pair of parts instead of singles?

Manufacturing house part number? I don’t think they even have their own numbers for components.

If you use the KiCost python script to generate the BOM spreadsheet, we workarounded this issue

I don’t, but perhaps I should.

Make an analyze of your case. KiCost is focused to generate the cost spreadsheet of different web distributors (Mouse, Digikey, Farnel, …), nowadays using the Kitspace API.
I just told you about because I am the maintenance of the package.

How about something like this.

As you talk about automatic assembly i would guess that you not only need two entries in the bom but also in the position file which is really only possible if you use a solution with both two symbols and footprints.

the position file which is really only possible if you use a solution with both two symbols and footprints

You do have a point there. Alright, I’ll redo the part and split it in to with position markers in the fabrication layer so that it easy to place the two parts correctly relative to each other, as suggested by halachal.

Thanks for all the input.

I was about to suggest using the same footprint for both parts (the alignment markers would just reinforce each other), but then I realized you probably want different silkscreen markers for the positive vs the negative end of the battery.

If you want to use the courtyard to help keep you from accidentally placing parts where the battery will go (DRC has a flag that when active will warn you if you have courtyard collisions) then I would put the courtyard for each as half the length of the battery. That would give you an additional alignment mark (butt the courtyards together in the middle and have the sides lined up) to the fab layer, or even instead of cluttering up the fab layer.

Just throwing ideas out there. To use or not use is your prerogative. :slight_smile:

For proper representation on the schematic diagram, accounting of items for a parts list, and land patterns/footprints on the PCB do the following:
• The schematic symbol for the battery cell would not have any terminals as it doesn’t connect directly to the PCB. The class letter for a battery or battery cell is “BT”. Note that the class letter “B” is for a blower, fan, or motor. [See IEEE 315 Clause 22.4.]
• For a battery holder use class letter “X” as a prefix to the battery class letter [see IEEE 315 Clause 22.4 for class letter “X”], thus you would have “XBT”. For a single item battery holder such as the KEYSTONE 2460 the reference designation would be “XBT#”. For the KEYSTONE 92, which you would use in pairs, you would use reference designations XBT#A and XBT#B [See ANSI/ASME Y14.44]. However, KiCad does not understand suffix letters for individual parts so use XBT#E1 and XBT#E2 (the class letter E in this case has meaning of terminal or miscellaneous electrical part).
• There is no land pattern/footprint for the battery. If you do have the battery with terminals in the symbol, do not attach a land pattern. This will give a DRC error but you understand.
• For the single item battery holder the schematic symbol would use the female (socket) terminal symbols. Place the battery symbol nearby.
• For the individual battery clip use the female (socket) terminal symbol and the individual land pattern/footprint. On the schematic diagram I suggest placing the battery symbol between the two battery clips. You would need to place the pair of clips on the PCB manually and after placement lock them in place. I suggest doing it this way so that traces can be placed under the battery between the clips.
• All parts are accounted for in the parts list. No finagling with quantities less than one and no need for a separate in-house P/N.
–Larry

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.