Doesn't show 3D model of the part

I started using easyeda2kicad with custom parts path. I think i have added all other paths correctly and when i open Footprint i can clearly select the wrl but it’s simply not showing the 3D of a part.

Any help?

Thnx

p.s. it’s 7.0.9 on Debian, so far, haven’t touched any additional settings.

Have you check if that file really exists in your file system? Many footprints come with pre-populated paths for the 3d file, but the file doesn’t exists yet, until the user places its 3d model file in the correct location, with the correct name.

1 Like

Yes it does exist, and i checked the file, it does have the model. It’s the case with all other parts too.

I have tried selecting other files, downloading manually models etc.

I do not use easyeda2kicad, but my path window look like this, as you can see the variable at the beginning of the name, gets substituted automatically for the current project path, I have other variables defined for my setup.
could you share yours ?

1 Like

I figured that out, it was not clear at first but unfortunately , it didn’t help :frowning:

What’s confusing is that it doesn’t work even if i choose wrl manually

I did that just now, but my path looks different to yours:

I used the “folder” icon, to select the file directly from my disk, even using a file from the desktop (where you can see the full path) and not only from my library (where you can see the variable substitution).

1 Like

Well, on linux it’s forward slash

Depends on your variable “EASYEDA2KICAD”, but I assume it is correct, another thing I am seeing in your screenshot is the “offset”, set them to 0 or zoom out, it may be that the footprint is far away offscreen .

1 Like

Well, it looks like it doesn’t preview 3d part even like this.

Confusing.

Have you try the offset thing ? Are you willing to share the .wrl file to test it ?

p.s. Are those two files not working ?

1 Like

Yes, tried offset, nothing changed.

Yes, at the moment, i can’t see any part’s 3D model.

Not even Kicad supplied?

1 Like

Not even kicad supplied.

When in doubt, update your graphics drivers? Seriously, this seems solve problems that seem unrelated to a non developer like me. :wink:

1 Like

Well, it’s already latest, other 3D programs work fine, i would rather try to checkout kicad logs about that, but i doubt.

Though, i’m wondering if installation with snap could have something to do with this.

Probably does. Snaps can access only those directories of the host filesystem that they are allowed to. Are there not any instructions for configuring the snap so that it can access the 3D model libraries?

The strangest thing is that it does complain if the file on the path doesn’t exist but it doesn’t show the model once i choose it.

The PCB is shown but not the parts.

on Linux w/ Snap or Flatpak you may need to use ‘mount bind’ to have access to KiCad 3D models path.

You could try not to use native dialogs on Snap or Flat KiCAD environment…

I just saw some post mentioning the same, how to do this?

I just added removable-media to kicad in snap

$ snap connections kicad 
Interface               Plug                   Slot                            Notes
content[gnome-42-2204]  kicad:gnome-42-2204    gnome-42-2204:gnome-42-2204     -
content[gtk-3-themes]   kicad:gtk-3-themes     gtk-common-themes:gtk-3-themes  -
content[icon-themes]    kicad:icon-themes      gtk-common-themes:icon-themes   -
content[sound-themes]   kicad:sound-themes     gtk-common-themes:sound-themes  -
desktop                 kicad:desktop          :desktop                        -
desktop-legacy          kicad:desktop-legacy   :desktop-legacy                 -
gsettings               kicad:gsettings        :gsettings                      -
home                    kicad:home             :home                           -
network                 kicad:network          :network                        -
opengl                  kicad:opengl           :opengl                         -
removable-media         kicad:removable-media  :removable-media                manual
wayland                 kicad:wayland          :wayland                        -
x11                     kicad:x11              :x11                            -

Well, the solution was to add stable-backports and install kicad 7.0.10

I have not nerves to alwasy remember and fix snap installs, it’s the same issue for some other kicad plugins.

bookworm-backports (electronics): Electronic schematic and PCB design software
7.0.10+dfsg-1~bpo12+1: amd64 arm64 armhf i386 mips64el ppc64el